Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/10/10 13:09:25 UTC

Logo Contest Voting is On

All,

The submissions are in and the final contestants are listed on the Logo Wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/LogoContest .

A few notes about the process and where we are.

Voting will continue through Monday, October 17th at 00:01 PT.  This means
please vote by next Sunday.  The results will be tabulated Monday morning and
the results sent to the PMC and the user and dev lists will be copied.

Also, all images are available for voting.  That said, note that the PRC has
indicated that a headdress is not appropriate and as such voting for these
images has a low likelyhood of being approved.  I believe everyone is aware of
the sensitivity of branding Native American images and the attention being paid
to that issue by colleges and professional sports teams.  Regardless of your
position on that issue we can't ignore the fact that no matter what this is a
contentious issue.  The ASF is about creating cool technology in Open Source and
not about poilitical rangling.  As such, given the PRC's authority in branding
granted by the board one should respectfully consider their position on this
issue when casting your vote.

In addition, to provide a sense of guidance (albeit not binding) on interpreting
the images in light of the PRC guidelines the images have been grouped.  The
first group on the page are images that appear to be in accordance with PRC
guidelines.  The second group appear at the end of the page and include images
6, 7, 10, 11 and 17.  These images either include a headdress (which the PRC has
disallowed or the image of a rider on a horse.  Regardless of your personal
interpretation I expect someone somewhere will find that these images are
potentially offensive as they include the possible interpretation of a Native
American "on the war path."  You may not agree with the grouping and if not
please feel free to vote for these images.

Finally, the ultimate decision on the Logo is the responsibility of the PMC.
The PMC will balance the community feedback and the PRC guidelines to select the
most appropriate image.

This issue can be devisive (heck, it IS devisive).  When it is all said and done
   the ultimate measure of Geronimo will not be its logo but it will be the
quality of the project's code and its adoption rate.  I appeal to all to bear
this fact in mind and let's make Geronimo the best alternative out there.  At
the end of the day that's what we're working for.

Vote away and may the best Logo Win !!!!!

- Matt

Re: Logo Contest Voting is On

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Erin,

You convinced me.  I revised to 22 as my primary.  although there is competition
against the Google G.  Perhaps an appropriate color modification would be good.

Re: Logo Contest Voting is On

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.

Re: Logo Contest Voting is On

Posted by Erin Mulder <me...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
A few thoughts to share as people start voting:

1) I think it would be great to choose a logo that can be inverted
easily for dark backgrounds (e.g. the header of an administration
console), adjusted to various aspect ratios, shown on T-Shirts of
different colors, etc.

2) It's very useful to have a small detachable piece of the logo that
communicates identity all by itself without the full name (e.g. the G!
in 22, the G in 18/19, the circles in 2).  21 doesn't really have that.

3) I think simple has a lot more staying power than ornate, as long as
the logo looks clean and distinctive.  Don't want to get tired of it in
a year.

4) I like the G in entries 18 and 19, but don't care for the font.  I'm
going to throw my second choice that way on the assumption that specific
fonts can be tweaked later.

5) To that end, I think it would be great if the PMC chose 1 or 2 logos
and had the artists offer a few variants with different fonts, etc.
before making their final choice.  It would be a shame to reject
something worthy based on a small, easily changed detail.

6) When compiling results, I hope the PMC will note the similarity of
some of the options (e.g. 18 and 19) and consider their sum total of
votes as well as the individual totals

Cheers,
Erin