Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Rick Tessner <ri...@apache.org> on 2004/12/02 17:26:45 UTC

Text serializer and character entities

Hi all,

I'm having a small issue with the text-output plugin.  It involves the
  creation of text output for a "todo" list based on the
todo2document.xsl stylesheet.

That stylesheet emits a &#8594; (a right arrow).  This works fine when
HTML is the target format.

With text, I get the following error generated:

   java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Attempt to
output character of integral value 8594 that is not represented in
specified output encoding of ISO-8859-1.

I can change the encoding of the text serializer to UTF-8, but the
right-arrow character doesn't come out looking "reasonable".

Another possibility would be in the style-sheets would be to do string
replacement of &#8594; to "-->".  This will get messy and ugly
performance wise especially when additional character entities are
specified and desired to come out looking correct.

Is changing the default encoding of the text serializer the best way to
go here?  Other options?

--
Rick Tessner
rick at apache dot org