Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Tyson Norris <tn...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2018/10/02 16:07:26 UTC

Logstore usage during `activation get`

Hi –
I created this PR [1] due to noticing that `wsk activation get` does NOT return logs from a LogStore which stores logs outside of the Activation entity.
But it bring up a question of: Does IBM or any other operator who might use a custom LogStore desire to have logs included with `activation get`?
Currently returning logs is only possible using `wsk activation logs`

Personally, I think it is “nice” to have a separate explicit request for logs and activation metadata, and this is the way that the current OW Activation API operates with regards to an external LogStore (splunk, elk, etc), but after all it is inconsistent from the case where logs are NOT using external storage.

WDYT?

Thanks
Tyson

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/pull/4044

Re: Logstore usage during `activation get`

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

Nick Mitchell <mo...@gmail.com> wrote on 10/04/2018 12:06:14 PM:

> from a usability perspective, there is something quite attractive about
> having ready access to logs (and activation records generally)... while
> developing. i think most of the woes we encounter with logs come from
high
> volume actions (either exercised in prod, or during a high volume test)?

Nick, I agree with this, but I think it is separable from the question of
whether or not the logs are included in the activation API or if the
user/tooling needs to make a separate call to a logs API.

If we cleanly separated the two APIs, it might actually be easier to
provide higher-quality implementations of both of them by using the
appropriate backend technology for each.

--dave

Posted by Nick Mitchell <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by James W Dubee <jw...@us.ibm.com>.
Hey guys,

For scalability concerns, I think it is preferable to separate logs from
activation records entirely. Doing so would require users to use the logs
API, or whatever tools are provided by the underly logging service. We
should focus on serverless technology and delegate log handling to services
that specialize in such areas.

From experimenting with storing logs in a different data store other than

From:	Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:	10/02/2018 07:30 PM
Subject:	Re: Logstore usage during `activation get`

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tyson Norris <tn...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
By "break this" do you mean at some point we should remove the logs from the GET?
In any case I will close the PR.

Thanks
Tyson

On 10/2/18, 4:21 PM, "Rodric Rabbah" <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Tyson - this was the intent of the API design: there is a separate resource for LOGS and the RESULT. The reasoning also that the metadata is typically small but the logs could be much larger. Separating the two was also intended for easier streaming of the responses.

    Because of implementation made it easier to bundle the response, we have the current “feature” where GET on the activation id returns the entire record. I think we can break this because the clients can sugar the underlying calls.

    -r

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.