Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/08 17:56:44 UTC

JDO-709 issue

Hi Andy,

Could you please take a look at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JDO-709

We are finalizing the api, tck, and specification for this and have an issue.

The @Convert annotation does not have the attribute property so it can only be used directly on a field/property. So it does not support the @Converts annotation either, since the @Converts annotation only makes sense if multiple @Convert annotations are used, and there is no way to specify to which field/property the @Convert annotations apply to. The @Converts is also useful if you have embedded persistence-capable fields that have different @Convert annotations depending on which class it is embedded in.

So, I think we have two choices:

1. Remove @Converts; or

2. Add the missing attribute property to @Convert and add test cases for @Converts applied to persistence-capable classes with multiple field/properties and add test cases for @Converts applied to embedded persistence-capable types. Make sure DataNucleus supports these two use-cases.

At this point I think it just makes sense to do #1. WDYT?

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org