Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Matthias Petersen <m....@mssys.com> on 2003/10/24 16:14:48 UTC

Log4J vs. java.util.logging

Hi,
I saw in the 1.4 JDK that there were new classes introduced concerning logging, which
seems to be a base for Log4J. When I take a look at the class hierarchy of Log4J, it is
not a subclass of those JDK logging classes (I think the reason is that Log4J is older
than the 1.4 JDK...).

So, what will happen with Log4J in the future ? Will it be a subclass of the Java 1.4
logging classes or will it go in a different direction ?

I think that the Log4J classes are much better than the 1.4 Java classes, but what will
happen if those Java classes will become the standard for logging ? Or will Log4J be a
part of the JDK somewhere in the future ?

Your answers are very important for me, because I have to decide if my company is
using Log4J or if we need to enhance the 1.4 JDK logging classes.

Thanks
Matthias
Matthias Petersen
ms management systems gmbh
Krokamp 29
24539 Neumünster

Fon: +49. 4321. 9995-49
Fax: +49. 4321. 9995-41
E-Mail: M.Petersen@mssys.com

Re: Log4J vs. java.util.logging

Posted by Tom Eugelink <tb...@tbee.org>.
Oh, and let me add another opinion to my own mail. I think that adding
more and more functionality to the JVM (what Sun is doing now) is not a
good thing. I prefer a lean mean core "engine" and addon JARs. Want SSL?
Add SSL.jar. Want logging? Add logging.jar. Want RDBMS? Add JDBC.jar.

I'd vote for putting energy in a better classloader, one that is able to
handle different versions of the same JAR file in the classpath (like
DotNet... autch).

Tom

Posted by TBEE <tb...@tbee.org>.