Posted to user@poi.apache.org by vi...@gmail.com on 2012/05/25 08:02:32 UTC

Max column size and image in sheetq

HI All,

I have data which cross 256 columns how can i handle this is there a way to
extends columns in excel using apache poi and how can i represent an image
in excel
I have an image which resides in physical drive how can show it in excel

Regards
Viany

Re: Max column size and image in sheetq

Posted by Mark Beardsley <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Well, to answer part one of your question, Microsoft imposed limits when they
designed that file format many, many years ago. Take a look here for the
full list of limitations that apply to the older binary file format (.xls) -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP005199291.aspx.
When Office 2007 was intorduced, a new file format appeared called OOXML
(Office Open XML) and it has different limits -
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP010073849.aspx.
So, the answer to the first part of your question is to use the OOXML file
format for your workbooks if you can.

Secondly, insertion of images is covered here -
http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html#Images, in the Quick
Guide. Have you tried this yet?

Yours

Mark B