Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Kim Thrysøe <kt...@atira.dk> on 2003/01/23 18:20:08 UTC

Structuring a portal with two seperate panes

First let me thank you all for an awesome piece of work. I hope to
contribute myself as I get on my way in my own project, which is to
develop a portal for a University Library Portal. I have a fairly good
understanding of the turbine/jetspeed architecture and its use.
Nonetheless am I in trouble when it comes to my portals overall
structuring, because it differ from the standard setup. I hope that my
question makes sense and sounds familiar to others new to Jetspeed.

Let me briefly sketch the required portal layout:

-----------------------------------
|                 A               |
-----------------------------------
|        |                |       |
|        |                |       |
|        |                |       |
|   B    |        C       |   D   |
|        |                |       |
|        |                |       |
|        |                |       |
-----------------------------------
|                 E               |
-----------------------------------

A = Top navigation with a few fixed links to articles to be shown in "C"
/ external sites
B, D = Portlet pane to be shown on most pages (ex. Home, Login, Error...)
C = Area where either article/text content is shown or special pages
such as Login
E = Fixed bottom navigation

As B and D (almost) always must be shown (Few exceptions such as
customizing is to be done in the full screen). I have to find a way to
include two areas with portlets on templates such as Login.jsp.
I still wish to use the jetspeed customization feature to customize the
two areas.

I have been thinking about a this paths to take:

*Option 1* - Screen contains two Jetspeed panes (B/D) and handles
article content/form displaying (C)

I let the screens contain two panes plus have the responsibility of
showing article content in area C based on some included JSP:

- Is it possible to have two panes on a screen as done in this example?
- If so, is it necessary to manually add a "left" and "right" portlet
set to the user PSML files.

Perhaps I could even use a third pane to hold article-showing portlets.

- Does anyone have experience with portlets to show organized and
hierarchically organized content as opposed to lists of news items.
Perhaps based on cocoon requests or a CMS ?

Any bits of advice and pointers are more than welcome.

thanks

--
 Kim Thrysøe
 kt@atira.dk

Re: Structuring a portal with two seperate panes

Posted by Stefan Kuhn <sk...@ice.mpg.de>.
Hi Kim,
I would think that most of the layout is already there. The only thing missing
is the right navigation area. For this, I would think you should edit
jetspeed/WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/html/default.vm and add a right bar the
same way it's done with left/top/bottom. That's it. You then obviously need
to edit top.vm, left.vm... and e.g. put the login into the left bar instead
of the top one. Things like the editaccount screen are only shown in the
"main" area anyway, so you would not need to worry about how to put two panes
on a page.
HTH
Stefan

--