Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/13 16:14:03 UTC

[VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

We have not made a release of Maven 2.x since 2.2.1 which was August 2009.

During that period no release manager has stepped up to cut a release.

I would argue that we should just therefore just declare Maven 2.x as end
of life.

This vote is therefore to resolve this issue.

The vote will be decided on the basis of committer votes cast. If the
majority of votes from committers (which includes PMC members) are in
favour then we will declare 2.x end of life.

If you are a committer and voting -1, then we will assume that you are
willing to step up and act as a release manager to get a 2.2.2 release out
(which would hopefully include being able to not barf on maven-metadata.xml
that uses the <snapshotVersions> schema generated by Maven 3.x but the
release manager gets to decide what it is they want to release)

The decision on this is actually quite simple as if there is nobody
committer to act as a release manager for the 2.x line, then it is end of
life.

+1: Maven 2.x is end of life, I am not willing to act as release manager
for this line of releases
0: I have no opinion
-1: Maven 2.x is not end of life, I am willing to act as release manager
for this line of releases

The vote will be open for 72h and may be closed earlier in the unlikely
event that all Maven committers have cast a vote before the 72h are up.

-Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1

Posted by Dominik Bartholdi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
+1

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Stephen Connolly
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have not made a release of Maven 2.x since 2.2.1 which was August 2009.
>
> +1: Maven 2.x is end of life, I am not willing to act as release manager
> for this line of releases

Here's my +1.

Wayne

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:14:03 +0000
Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1

tony.

--
Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
+1 with a side remark. For those, who still rely on Maven 2 one should
first annouce an EOL roadmap like this:

1. Make the announcement
2. Release 2.2.2 (only one open ticket in JIRA which can me dismissed)
say 4 weeks later and announce that as the last version of 2.x
3. Encourage to switch to 3.1.x/3.2.x

Take Apache Tomcat as an example, they announced 5.5.x as EOL with
several months in advance. I think, it's unfair to announce something as
EOL straight away.

Michael

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding). Glad to see this vote finally take place.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Stephen Connolly <

--
Cheers,
Paul

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

(forgot my vote)

On 13 February 2014 15:14, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
non-binding +1

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

Stephen Connolly wrote:

> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5207
>
> On 13 February 2014 17:15, Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jörg,
>> > multi-projects in correct order and therefore will not produce
>> > artifacts
>> with bogus SNAPSHOTs
>>
>> Maybe you could (re)point out the corresponding JIRAs?
>>
>> Because as a maven user, I wonder what triggers these issues for you. We
>> have tens of multi-projects with interdependencies being currently
>> developed, and I'd be interested to hear about the (problematic) use case
>> we don't encounter.

The easiest way to detect if you're affected is by removing any SNAPSHOT
from your repositories and run a build. If the build stops because SNAPSHOTs
cannot be found that are part of your build, the problem is obvious.

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi Jörg,

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Feb 13, 2014, at 11:18 AM, Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest you convince at least one of these people:
> https://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#maven that they should
> act as release manager.
>
> EOL just means we will not be making new releases, and it will be moved to
> the archive section of the downloads.

Well, one more thing:  if it’s officially EOL, there is a much higher chance that plugins would be marked as using 3.x as a minimum and will no longer work with 2.1.1.   API’s and such that the plugins use will likely get updated to 3.x level.  Etc….

Anyway, I’m +1 to dropping 2.x support.

Dan

> You will still be able to download it. You will still be able to get the
> source code. We just will be recognising the fact that there is nobody who
> wants to cut a release from the 2.x codebase.
>
> Hopefully focusing on the 3.x codebase will allow us to iron out the bugs
> you feel are present in 3.x and thus preventing you from migrating... but
> if there are any committers who want to cut 2.x releases, I - as a PMC
> member - will certainly stand up and do what is required in terms of
> testing the source bundle and checking the IP etc... I don't see any
> committers standing up.
>
> If the vote is for EOL and after this vote there is a committer who wants
> to act as release manager for 2.x, we will not stop them from releasing
> either... we will just stop putting 2.x on the active downloads page
>

> On 13 February 2014 15:52, Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>wrote:
>
>> Stephen Connolly wrote:
>>
>>> We have not made a release of Maven 2.x since 2.2.1 which was August
>> 2009.
>>>
>>> During that period no release manager has stepped up to cut a release.
>>>
>>> I would argue that we should just therefore just declare Maven 2.x as end
>>> of life.
>>
>> -1
>>
>> This vote is real-life comedy as long as there is no newer version that
>> succeeds with its core competence to build multi-projects in correct order
>> and therefore will not produce artifacts with bogus SNAPSHOTs.
>>
>> Embarassed,
>> Jörg
>>

>>> This vote is therefore to resolve this issue.
>>>
>>> The vote will be decided on the basis of committer votes cast. If the
>>> majority of votes from committers (which includes PMC members) are in
>>> favour then we will declare 2.x end of life.
>>>
>>> If you are a committer and voting -1, then we will assume that you are
>>> willing to step up and act as a release manager to get a 2.2.2 release
>> out
>>> (which would hopefully include being able to not barf on
>>> maven-metadata.xml that uses the <snapshotVersions> schema generated by
>>> Maven 3.x but the release manager gets to decide what it is they want to
>>> release)
>>>
>>> The decision on this is actually quite simple as if there is nobody
>>> committer to act as a release manager for the 2.x line, then it is end of
>>> life.
>>>
>>> +1: Maven 2.x is end of life, I am not willing to act as release manager
>>> for this line of releases
>>> 0: I have no opinion
>>> -1: Maven 2.x is not end of life, I am willing to act as release manager
>>> for this line of releases
>>>
>>> The vote will be open for 72h and may be closed earlier in the unlikely
>>> event that all Maven committers have cast a vote before the 72h are up.
>>>
>>> -Stephen

Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@swisspost.com>.

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

PS: like your style mark!

-Chris

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
+1 from me as well.

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise

 > We have not made a release of Maven 2.x since 2.2.1 which was August
2009.

> During that period no release manager has stepped up to cut a release.
>
> I would argue that we should just therefore just declare Maven 2.x as end
> of life.
>
> This vote is therefore to resolve this issue.
>
> The vote will be decided on the basis of committer votes cast. If the
> majority of votes from committers (which includes PMC members) are in
> favour then we will declare 2.x end of life.
>
> If you are a committer and voting -1, then we will assume that you are
> willing to step up and act as a release manager to get a 2.2.2 release out
> (which would hopefully include being able to not barf on maven-metadata.xml
> that uses the <snapshotVersions> schema generated by Maven 3.x but the
> release manager gets to decide what it is they want to release)
>
> The decision on this is actually quite simple as if there is nobody
> committer to act as a release manager for the 2.x line, then it is end of
> life.
>
> +1: Maven 2.x is end of life, I am not willing to act as release manager
> for this line of releases
> 0: I have no opinion
> -1: Maven 2.x is not end of life, I am willing to act as release manager
> for this line of releases
>
> The vote will be open for 72h and may be closed earlier in the unlikely
> event that all Maven committers have cast a vote before the 72h are up.
>
> -Stephen

Mit freundlichem Gruß
Karl-Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl-Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: [VOTE] Maven 2.x is end of life

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1