Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com> on 2020/01/30 00:58:06 UTC

Using retained checkpoints as savepoints

Hi all,

Currently https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/checkpoints.html#difference-to-savepoints <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/checkpoints.html#difference-to-savepoints> says checkpoints…

"do not support Flink specific features like rescaling"

But I believe they do, and really must if you can use them like a savepoint. Should that sentence be changed, or removed?

Also this page doesn’t talk about state migration, which is another aspect of restarting a (modified) workflow from a retained checkpoint…will that work?

This sentence about checkpoints on https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/savepoints.html#what-is-a-savepoint-how-is-a-savepoint-different-from-a-checkpoint <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/savepoints.html#what-is-a-savepoint-how-is-a-savepoint-different-from-a-checkpoint> implies not:

"Optimizations towards those goals can exploit certain properties, e.g. that the job code doesn’t change between the execution attempts"

Thanks,

— Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

Re: Using retained checkpoints as savepoints

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Maybe one small addition:
  - for the heap state backend, there is no difference at all between the
format and behavior of retained checkpoints (after the job is canceled) and
savepoints. Same format and features.
  - For RocksDB incremental checkpoints, we do in fact support re-scaling,
and I think we should commit to doing that always in the future. But we
wanted to keep it open to not support state migration, for the reasons
mentioned by Aljoscha.

Supporting re-scaling on checkpoints is important for the upcoming work on
(reactive) auto-scaling, which means we need to commit to supporting this.
Which also means we can update the docs to say that.

Best,
Stephan

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi,