Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2012/08/21 16:47:48 UTC

ApacheFlexSDK Installer (+ Badge) questions

Om and whom it may concern,

I would like to discuss the following:

1) can't we host the 'ApacheFlexConfig.xml' on
'http://incubator.apache.org/flex/' (and rename it to something more
fitting, like 'sdk-installer-config.xml'? The file can then easily be
referenced by both 'utility' apps and would provide a central location
for all information likely to change...

2) I would like to re-work the localisation and UI/log string
handling, but that requires rather a lot of refactoring. The work is
done, I have a patch which I can now apply myself, but I wanted to
check if you perhaps have uncommitted changes locally that would be
affected?

3) can't we host the SDK Installer Badge on the project's website as
well? That way we have a central location where other people willing
incorporate the badge on their site (Spoon?) can point to using an
'iframe' or whatever. Or do we require every 'hosting party' to fetch
and build their own instance of the badge? That would make 1) all the
more relevant...

I'll leave it at that for today ;-)

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: ApacheFlexSDK Installer (+ Badge) questions

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Om and whom it may concern,
>
> I would like to discuss the following:
>
> 1) can't we host the 'ApacheFlexConfig.xml' on
> 'http://incubator.apache.org/flex/' (and rename it to something more
> fitting, like 'sdk-installer-config.xml'? The file can then easily be
> referenced by both 'utility' apps and would provide a central location
> for all information likely to change...

Yes, that would be the best place.  Feel free to make the changes.

> 2) I would like to re-work the localisation and UI/log string
> handling, but that requires rather a lot of refactoring. The work is
> done, I have a patch which I can now apply myself, but I wanted to
> check if you perhaps have uncommitted changes locally that would be
> affected?

I dont have any changes pending.  Please go ahead and commit the changes.

> 3) can't we host the SDK Installer Badge on the project's website as
> well? That way we have a central location where other people willing
> incorporate the badge on their site (Spoon?) can point to using an
> 'iframe' or whatever. Or do we require every 'hosting party' to fetch
> and build their own instance of the badge? That would make 1) all the
> more relevant...

I sent an email about this a while ago.  The idea is to host the badge swf
on the project website.  We will then pass around the iframe code for folks
to embed on their blogs, websites, etc:

<iframe width="310" height="310" frameborder=0 scrolling="no" src="
http://people.apache.org/~bigosmallm/installapacheflex/<http://people.apache.org/%7Ebigosmallm/installapacheflex/install.html>
"></iframe>

Of course, the link will be changed to point to the project website.

Thanks,
Om

Re: ApacheFlexSDK Installer (+ Badge) questions

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> 3) can't we host the SDK Installer Badge on the project's website as
> well? That way we have a central location where other people willing
> incorporate the badge on their site (Spoon?) can point to using an
> 'iframe' or whatever. Or do we require every 'hosting party' to fetch
> and build their own instance of the badge? That would make 1) all the
> more relevant...

Yes, we can.  I'm just waiting for a vote to declare that the installer is
ready for a release.  Once it has been 'released' we can put it on our
website and host it there.

-Nick