Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no> on 2004/05/01 08:52:57 UTC

Re: Filtering out empty messages as spam

After taking a look at most of these empty messages, it certainly looks
like they all comes from dhcp-pools (adsl/dsl/etc home computers)  so it
certainly looks like I could try to filter them out directly, the
question then comes to, how big impackt would that be on legitimit mail?

at the moment I don't think there would be any problems, but for
example, I was thinking of setting up my own mail-server at home also,
and there I have ADSL where I get the ip from a dhcp pool, and I would
by introducing a filter for this cut of my own home-mailserver from the
corporate mail server.

if it just was my mail-server that would be no big problem filtero\ing
out so that messages from that one would come through, but it might not
be just my mail-server.

anyway, HOW do I set up this type of filtering?

/Christian

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I was thinking of setting up my own mail-server at home also, and
> there I have ADSL where I get the ip from a dhcp pool, and I would
> by introducing a filter for this cut of my own home-mailserver from
> the corporate mail server.

You could use your corporate mail server as a gateway, and add specific
access for your home system.  If you don't do that, and even if you allow
DHCP e-mail so that you aren't cutting off your own home system, it won't
matter when you send e-mail directly from home to other systems that are
blocking DHCP pools.  Most DNS RBLs include a zone for tracking DHCP pools,
and almost every e-mail admin I know is blocking DHCP pools.

There is almost no reason to accept e-mail from DHCP connected systems
coming from the USA.  However, apparently some European ISPs do not provide
e-mail gateways.  [They are not blocked for the @apache domain because of
concerns about ASF community members who are still sending through DHCP
systems, particularly in Germany.]

I'm planning to finally finish what might be the first piece of code I ever
started working on for James: a country matcher.  I had stopped because I'd
hoped that we'd have better matcher configuration support, but for the first
cut, I'll just have to parse a string.

> HOW do I set up this type of filtering?

See the examples for the InSpammerBlacklist matcher.  That is another
matcher that could use a bit of extension.  I hope to replace it with an
InDNSRBL matcher that uses the DNS directly, allows specific zones to be
specified, and records the associated TXT record.

	--- Noel