Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/21 16:13:15 UTC

m2: geronimo-packaging-plugin

David J,
   This is one of goals from the packaging plugin. I
need some insight into this :
<goal name="car:prepare-plan" description="Add
dependencies to a plan and process with velocity">
<car:dependencies artifacts="${pom.artifacts}"
targetDir="${geronimo.packaging.buildDir}"
sourceDir="${geronimo.packaging.srcDir}"
planFile="${geronimo.packaging.planFile}"
targetFile="${geronimo.packaging.buildFile}"
context="${context}"/>
</goal>
    Is this still needed?

Thanks
Anita

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: m2: geronimo-packaging-plugin

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
David,
    Thanks! more comments inline..

--- David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:13 AM, anita kulshreshtha
> wrote:
>
> > David J,
> >    This is one of goals from the packaging plugin.
> > need some insight into this :
> > <goal name="car:prepare-plan" description="Add
> > dependencies to a plan and process with velocity">
> > <car:dependencies artifacts="${pom.artifacts}"
> > targetDir="${geronimo.packaging.buildDir}"
> > sourceDir="${geronimo.packaging.srcDir}"
> > planFile="${geronimo.packaging.planFile}"
> > targetFile="${geronimo.packaging.buildFile}"
> > context="${context}"/>
> > </goal>
> >     Is this still needed?
>
> In principle, yes.  It may be necessary to hard-code
> the dependencies/
> imports until the transitive dependencies of all
> modules are further
> stabilized.
    IIUC, you are saying that when all the transitive
dependencies are sorted out, maven would give us the
correct set of artifacts for constructing the
classloader. I think that the packaging-plugin will
always be needed to map geronimo concepts, e.g. import
and include to maven dependencies. I am using
geronimo-gbean-deployer and j2ee-system configs as an
example to figure out what needs to be done. Is there
a better approach?
I agree with your earlier comments
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1677#action_12370672
    I need to think how all this ties together. Is
there any work being done on the DAGclassloader?

> This is likely to have a problem similar to the
> dependency plugin,
> but I haven't thought through whether or not it
> actually does :-)  I
> would start by including all dependencies and
> sorting them into
> imports and dependencies based on their type.
    Since none of the configs have geronimo.include
property. I might be able to get away by using
type=car for geronimo.import and use scope(provided?)
somehow to get the right dependencies. But eventually
we will have to deal with includes.
 If
> this gets too far
> from what the  m1 plugin generates we could check in
> the dependencies/
> imports from the m1 output and revisit this when we
> merge 1.1 into
> trunk.
     If there is an urgency to move to m2, we could
check in all the things
dependencies/imports/geronimo-service.xml. I would
like to know more about the work being done in 1.1 and
  its availability.

Thnaks
Anita

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:13 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:

> David J,
>    This is one of goals from the packaging plugin. I
> need some insight into this :
> <goal name="car:prepare-plan" description="Add
> dependencies to a plan and process with velocity">
> <car:dependencies artifacts="${pom.artifacts}"
> targetDir="${geronimo.packaging.buildDir}"
> sourceDir="${geronimo.packaging.srcDir}"
> planFile="${geronimo.packaging.planFile}"
> targetFile="${geronimo.packaging.buildFile}"
> context="${context}"/>
> </goal>
>     Is this still needed?

In principle, yes.  It may be necessary to hard-code the dependencies/
imports until the transitive dependencies of all modules are further
stabilized.

This is likely to have a problem similar to the dependency plugin,
but I haven't thought through whether or not it actually does :-)  I
would start by including all dependencies and sorting them into
imports and dependencies based on their type.  If this gets too far