Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2004/11/19 00:59:13 UTC

Congratulations to the Derby code contest winners!

The winners and their entries are summarized below -- and descriptions
are drastically shortened because I'd like to come up with short
descriptions for Derby index pages. So any mangled descriptions are all
mine (Emmanuel, Henning, and Torsten -- feel free to email corrections
or better short descriptions).  Also, although my descriptions below
focus on integration with Apache software, other software was often used.

Emmanuel and Henning will send me their cleaned up wads, which I'll post
to the Derby web site. Soon (very soon) I'll update the Derby web site
to point to Torsten's wiki. I'll also post the Derby tutorial and Derby
presentations to the Derby site.

***

FIRST PLACE: Emmanuel Cecchet <Em...@inria.fr>

Emmanuel's entry integrates Derby,  Jakarta Tomcat, and Jakarta Velocity.

He ported the servlet version of xPetstore
(http://xpetstore.sourceforge.net/) to Tomcat 5 and Derby. It uses a
generic Hibernate mapper and the DB2 Universal JDBC Driver to remotely
access Derby. For reliability, it starts up and accesses a cluster of
Derby databases (fully mirrored) using the C-JDBC clustering software
(http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org).

Incidentally, after demoing his application to the judges, Emmanuel
hooked C-JDBC up to Derby using the Derby embedded driver -- and it does
look like C-JDBC provides an open source alternative to the DB2
Universal JDBC Driver. Please try it out and post your experience to the
Derby mail lists.

***

SECOND PLACE: Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hp...@intermeta.de>

Henning's entry integrates Derby with  Jakarta Turbine,  Jakarta Tomcat,
and  DB Torque.

His application matches names with faces ("Apache Faces"), which allows
users to upload a small image, name, and email address. So, the next
time you attend ApacheCon, you won't walk right by people you may have
been interacting with in email during the last year(s).

***

THIRD PLACE: Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>

Torsten's entry integrates Derby with Cocoon.

His wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Derby describes how to
get Derby running from within Cocoon. Here's a verbatim note from
Torsten's abstract: "A (very) small patch makes the ESQL component use
the right "driver" automagically. A XSP example page shows that even
scrollable resultsets are working with Derby. ...which is important in
the web area."

***

Many thanks to Emmanuel, Henning, and Torsten!

 -jean