Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/02 11:37:28 UTC

Plans and activities for coming months

Hi,

As mentioned, I was invited to talk about DeviceMap at codemotion Rome, one
of the largest developer conferences in the EMEA region (~30k+ attendees
across 3-4 events each year, so that's up to 10k for some of them)

Based on that W3C DDR Compatibility test in the repository we point to in
our W3C related notice, I work on filling it with test data and arguments
based on DeviceMap to see the results. The same test bed may be used on
future W3C DDR implementations based on new data structures. The test isn't
a simple JUnit like test, it requires tons of arguments that have to match,
but I hope to have it running ideally no later than Rome. Once it can be
executed at least manually (or if it's possible to automate it via Maven
after every project build) there's no reason preventing an official release
of the W3C artifacts, too. The test is pretty much a "TCK" provided by W3C
similar to any Java JSR, so I want to run it before releasing the W3C
implementation.

There hasn't been much going on with the .NET clients lately, but I need to
use a Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition now for other projects, thus I
hope to get a closer look at it with this free tool (which should make it
easier for people to use DeviceMap .NET without paying a huge subscription
fee;-)

ApacheCon Europe may start a CFP soon, the date has been confirmed and
it'll be in Budapest again. As soon as we see it on the Apache mailing
list, we could think about proposing something. I'd be in for that as I
should be in Europe then, too.

Regards,

Werner

Re: Plans and activities for coming months

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

In a way yes, at least until a 2.x branch of data turns from ideas and
brainstorming to reality;-)
One thing to clarify IMHO a bit more important on Windows machines, since
they are known to be more "appealing" for hacking or malware, etc. than a
(well-protected) UX or similar OS. If I look at the projects, there's
DeviceMap and DeviceMapConsole. Does it mean, you already separated the
"Client" from a console app?

If so, then indeed, the 2 .NET clients seemed even a bit ahead of the Java
Classifier, since we spoke about a slight discomfort to some environments
if an executable or scriptable part is directly inside the client module.

One evident lack is documentation (even on the Java side to some extent,
though presentations help)
If I free enough space on my own laptop before Rome, I'd love to give a
quick live demo of either the C# or VB.NET one, too. I appreciate if you
could help with tips, etc.
A vital help could be a how-to on using only command line tools or freely
available compilers (indeed MS Open Sourced quite a bit now, too)
Since it is also generally free, using Visual Studio Community sounds fair,
but since the Java equivalent runs on any Maven enabled box, something
similar for a "headless" build on the .NET side being documented and
understandable could help. Last but not least if we wanted to use one of
the Apache CI servers for .NET we heard exist;-)

Werner

Posted by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net>.