Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Owen Thomas <ot...@wcg.net.au> on 2007/03/07 03:40:36 UTC

Maven newbie alert - incorrect archetype version.

Hello.

I am a Maven newbie. Having discovered the merit in using Maven over Ant
on Monday, I downloaded and started fiddling with it yesterday. I am
rather fresh.

My problem relates to the following error when trying to create a new
JBI BC project with maven. I am following the tutorial at
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/hello-world-bc.html to create my
own BC; a fact I think is unrelated to the problem I am having.

When I run the following command:

mvn archetype:create -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.servicemix.tooling /

-DarchetypeArtifactId=servicemix-binding-component /

-DarchetypeVersion=3.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT /

-DgroupId=au.com.wcg.bindingcomponent.executeshellscript /

-DartifactId=WCGExecuteSchellScriptBindingComponent

I find the following error in my maven output:

[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.servicemix.tooling

ArtifactId: servicemix-binding-component

Version: 3.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT

Looking at the tutorial, I find that it has been courteous enough to
include a link to the "Top level ServiceMix POM", only this link points
to a page that no longer exists. I have done some searching, and, not
knowing exactly what it is that I am supposed to be finding, have here
made this request for help. Does anyone know where the POM I need is?

Help would be very much appreciated,

  Owen.

RE: Maven newbie alert - incorrect archetype version.

Posted by Owen Thomas <ot...@wcg.net.au>.
Hello again.

Thanks for your reply Wayne.

I have followed the advice of a respondent to an identical message I put
in the ServiceMix user's mailing list, and my actions appear (at least)
to have rectified my earlier problem.

See the Service Mix response within the thread at:
http://www.nabble.com/Maven-newbie-alert---incorrect-archetype-version.-
tf3359474s12049.html.

However, as the response above states, Maven is now giving me the
following errors:

[ERROR] ResourceManager : unable to find resource 'VM_global_library.vm'
in any resource loader.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Error creating from archetype

Embedded error: The META-INF/maven/archetype.xml descriptor cannot be
found.
[INFO]

You advice here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

  Owen.

Looks like the artifacts you need are in the Apache Snapshots
repository on people.apache.org:

http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/servicemix
/tooling/servicemix-binding-component/

Also note the hello-world-bc webpage says at the top "Work In
Progress". So this is more complex than most Maven interactions.

Re: Maven newbie alert - incorrect archetype version.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Looks like the artifacts you need are in the Apache Snapshots
repository on people.apache.org:

http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/servicemix/tooling/servicemix-binding-component/

Also note the hello-world-bc webpage says at the top "Work In
Progress". So this is more complex than most Maven interactions.

The easiest way forward is thus:
1. Create a directory blah and a file pom.xml inside it
2. Paste the following into the file
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>blah</groupId>
  <artifactId>test</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <name>blah test</name>
  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>Apache Snapshots</id>
      <url>http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/</url>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </repository>
  </repositories>
  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>Apache Snapshots</id>
      <url>http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/</url>
      <snapshots>
        <enabled>true</enabled>
      </snapshots>
      <releases>
        <enabled>false</enabled>
      </releases>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <artifactId>servicemix-binding-component</artifactId>
      <groupId>org.apache.servicemix.tooling</groupId>
      <version>3.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>
3. Then run "mvn test" and allow the files to download
4. Now go back to your original directory and attempt to run the "mvn
archetype:create ..." command again

However... I just did this and ran into an error about
META-INF/archetype.xml missing, so realistically you should send a
"support request" type email to the ServiceMix developers and see if
they can help you get things going... Or wait until this
hello-world-bc example is "finished".

Wayne