Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/02 11:22:27 UTC

Re: batch indexing

Sorry , ask a question.
You say FSDirectory is RADdirectory as least until it flushes.

I cannot understand your means . May you please teach me what it means?

FSDirectory stored in filesystem  , and RADdirectory stored in RAM.
MergeFactor and MaxBufferedDocs  settings are limited and controlled
the max docs and size with the tempory Indexing action?

If I am fault , tell me , please . Thank you.

=============================
Chris Lin
http://search20.portal20.com.tw
chrislin@pchome.com.tw
Taipei , Taiwan.

Re: batch indexing

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
For some intermediate period of time when indexing, the document are
buffered in RAM. There is a complex interplay between several of the
parameters to an IndexWriter that govern how many documents are
indexed in RAM before being flushed to the FSDirectory.

Of course, if you specify a RAMdirectory, it's never written to disk.
But if you specify an FSDirectory, as you write the index some
number of documents are indexed in RAM, then flushed to
disk.

Search the archives and particularly look at the thread titled for
more detailed information.....

"MergeFactor and MaxBufferedDocs value should ...?"

Best
Erick