Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com> on 2001/09/28 00:26:36 UTC

Log file rotation

I have configured Jetspeed to rotate the Jetspeed log file, but the
backup log files are created when "rotation" is the only logging
facility.  The default facilities list include system, debug, and
security.

1) Why can the facility Rotation not be use with system,debug,security?

2) The logging facility sql is defined but not included in the
facilities list. Why?

Working configuration that does log file rotation from Jetspeed TR.p:

  services.LoggingService.facilities=rotation
  services.LoggingService.default=rotation

  # An example configuration for automatic log rotation using Log4Java
  # This will keep the log file size under 1MB and save up to 5 backup
copies

services.LoggingService.rotation.destination.file=/WEB-INF/log/jetspeed.log
  services.LoggingService.rotation.file.size=1048576
  services.LoggingService.rotation.file.backups=5

services.LoggingService.rotation.className=org.apache.turbine.services.logging.Log4JavaLogger
  services.LoggingService.rotation.level=DEBUG

Paul Spencer

Re: Navigation template vs menu Portlet

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
Ming Fai,
The answer to your question is dictated by your requirements.  Below are
some thing to consider when answering that question.

Using a Template to define the navigation bar:
o Content is generate via VM or JSP, depending on the layout manager.
  Thus it can be dynamic, but I an not sure what information, like
  username or target URL, it can determine.
o Language support is standard
o Always in the same place in the portal
o User can not remove

Using a Portlet to define the navigation bar:
o Content can be dynamically generated using any portlet type.
o Language support must be handled in the Portlet.
o The Portlet must be placed on every portal in the same place.
o Nothing prevents the user from removing or moving the Portlet via the
customizer

Paul Spencer

Re: Log file rotation

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.
I have found some answers.

o If the the Log4JavaLoggers is used then all facilities MUST use
  that logger.
  Why is this?

o The rotation facility must be the first in the facilities list.
  Why is this?

I would like a description, "how implemented", and "when to use" of each
of the logging facilities contained in TR.p
 o system
 o sql
 o debug
 o rotation
 o email
 o scheduler
 o syslog
 o remote

This information will be included in the Jetspeed documentation

Paul Spencer