Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Lott, Carey" <ca...@eds.com> on 2003/01/22 18:13:07 UTC

tomcat not starting after reboot or from cron

Has anybody had a problem with tomcat (4.0.4) starting after a reboot?  Or
problems starting it from the root crontab?
I have no problems at all starting tomcat manually.  Everything works fine
that way.
To automate the startup after a reboot, I am using init.d with the startup
script in rc3.d.  However, nothing is happening.  I'm not even receiving any
errors in the logs.  But I can immediately start it manually with out a
problem.
Also I can't stop and start tomcat from a crontab.  I set up a stop and
start script and placed them in the root crontab, but the time comes to stop
tomcat and nothing happens then the startup script should be initiated a
minute later but it is a mute point since tomcat didn't stop, but nothing
shows up in the logs either way.
Is there a parameter or something that I am missing for this to work?

I am running Tomcat 4.0.4 (as a standalone server using port 8880) on
Solaris 2.7.  Apache 1.3.9 is running on the server as well using port 80.

Thanks in advance for the help.

- Carey -

Re: tomcat not starting after reboot or from cron

Posted by p niemandt <ma...@acesurfer.co.za>.
I suspect it has something to do with your environmental variables:
Quite likely the java_home & catalina_home has not been set at the time
the script executes. When doing it from the console, as you are already
logged on, it will work fine. You could try to export the variables just
before running startup, see if that makes a difference.

Sadly this is about the extend of my guess ... :-)