Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/01/26 17:32:58 UTC

PMC Chair nominations

Just a note in a dedicated thread to say that nominations for a new PMC
Chair are to be considered open for three more days, to give others
(Dennis and Jan already nominated themselves) the opportunity to run.

Please consider that this comes after 26 days of discussions. So I
strongly recommend that you nominate yourself or that you get explicit
permission from your nominee, otherwise the risk of wasting time is high.

Deadline: in 72 hours (so around 16.30 UTC on Thursday 29 January).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: PMC Chair nominations

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 26/01/2015 Dave Fisher wrote:
> Please make sure that the language for the candidates who are not
> currently on the PMC includes the language to elect them to the PMC
> in addition to being elected to PMC Chair.

Sure. This was already covered in previous discussions. Don't worry, I
know what to do.

Dennis: it is not exactly as you outline, but, again, I will take care
of it. Namely, the Board always has the last word on PMC members. So it
is not true that I have superpowers to add new people to the PMC, or
even that the PMC can decide to appoint a new PMC member. The Board can
veto PMC additions (which in practice never happens, but this is how it
works at Apache).

Anyway, the one thing you shouldn't care about is procedural issues
related to the vote. I'm well prepared on this and, ahem, I even had the
opportunity to rehearse very recently. So I recommend that the
discussion focuses on other issues.

Regards,
   Andrea.

RE: PMC Chair nominations

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think the language is for the PMC Chair to make a motion to the Board using the prescribed form for that.

I think invitation to the PMC should not be bundled with that.  It would be strange to not have that handled by the PMC, although Andrea has the power to appoint someone to the PMC directly.  Maybe that should just happen in case Andrea is recommending someone not currently on the PMC, perhaps conditional on the Board appointing the new VP for OpenOffice.

Just a note on the VOTE since we are doing it in public.

Please make sure that the language for the candidates who are not currently on the PMC includes the language to elect them to the PMC in addition to being elected to PMC Chair.

Regards,
Dave

[ ... ]

Re: PMC Chair nominations

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: PMC Chair nominations

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
> On 30-01-2015, at 19:04, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I don't remember if Louis has declinded or agreed to be again a chair candidate.
>
> I explicitly wrote that anybody who was running, besides Dennis and Jan, had 3 days (after the 26 days we had already spent in discussions) to self-nominate or be nominated by someone else who had preliminary checked the candidate's availability.
>
> I explicitly named Marcus, Rob, Kay, Juergen and Louis as people who had been nominated in the previous round.
>
> None of them, except Marcus, wrote back.
>
> I sent another reminder 24 hours to the deadline.
>
> None of them wrote back. All of them wrote to the list during those 3 days.
>
> I waited 24 hours after the deadline, in case there were e-mails stuck in moderation for whatever reason.
>
> None of them wrote back.
>
> Now the nominations phase is over and we are voting. This discussion lasted one entire month.
>
>> If nominated, and then elected, sure, what the heck. :-)
>
> I take this as a joke... but, anyway, we are voting.

And you take it rightly. It is a joke. I’m not running, only the two named are, and it’s too late for me, anyway, as it is for anyone else.

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Cheers,
Louis