Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Dyke <je...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/19 16:02:33 UTC

[users@httpd] mod deflate - an unknown filter was not added: DEFLATE

I have a few servers, one is new running Apache/2.2.13 and the others are
currently running Apache/2.2.11 both have a statically built mod_deflate
which shows up in `apachectl -l`, but I'm am unable to enable the deflate
fliter on the servers running Apache/2.2.11.

On two of the servers (one 2.2.13 and one 2.2.11) I added SetOutputFilter
DEFLATE at the bottom of a <Directory> block where AllowOverride is set
above.  This works well on 2.2.13 but gives the error " an unknown filter
was not added: DEFLATE" in 2.2.11.

I have also tried to set the filter inside a <Location /path/to/www> where
the path matches what was set in the <Directory>.  In all of these
configurations on the 2.2.11 server i get the error and the content is not
gziped.  Even though it is deprecated i did try AddOutputFilterByType
DEFLATE text/html  and recieved the same errors.

I took a quick look at the change log and while there have been mod_deflate
changes between 2.2.11 and 2.2.13 i didn't see anything that would point to
it being broken (and i highly doubht it is).

Finally a question, do i need to upgrade these apache servers, or is there
another way to enable deflate on the 2.2.11 systems.

Thanks
Jeff