Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/08/03 19:06:58 UTC

ApacheCon Europe 2016

Hi,

Are we considering submitting a Pirk proposal for ApacheCon Europe 2016?
The CFP closes Sep 7.

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/apachecon-europe

Suneel

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2016

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suneel,

Sounds great re: Scaling out with Beam/Flink.

Your talk at Flink Forward looks interesting. As a side note, we should
chat about ML and NNs at some point :)

Thanks!

Ellison Anne

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2016

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
That's Great @Ellison.

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2016

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 03/08/16 20:36, Ellison Anne Williams wrote:
> Hi Suneel,
>
> I just (yesterday) submitted a proposal for Hadoop Summit Tokyo in October.
> Here is the information:
>
> *****
>
> Title: Scalable Private Information Retrieval \u2014 Introducing Apache Pirk
> (incubating)
>
> Abstract: Querying information over TBs of data where no one can see what
> you query or the responses obtained? It sounds like science fiction, but it
> is actually the science of Private Information Retrieval (PIR). This talk
> will introduce Apache Pirk - a new incubating Apache project designed to
> provide a framework for scalable, distributed PIR. We will discuss the
> motivation for Apache Pirk, its distributed implementations in platforms
> such as Spark and Storm, it\u2019s current algorithms, the power of homomorphic
> encryption, and take a look at the path forward.  Any scenario in which a
> user wishes to ask completely private questions of a dataset to which they
> have been granted access is a great application for Apache Pirk - we will
> discuss such scenarios as well.
> Bio: Ellison Anne Williams is a creator and PMC member of Apache Pirk, a
> pure mathematician by training, and a practical computer scientist in real
> life. Her passion is doing cool stuff with massive amounts of data.
>
> ******
>
> I was considering submitting the same for ApacheCon under the 'incubating'
> section and am happy to do so -- I will tweak it according to some specific
> questions ApacheCon wants addressed in their CFP. I think that we can have
> two 'Introducing Pirk' talks in rapid succession (Hadoop Summit is late
> October, ApacheCon is mid November). From that point, I think that we have
> to move beyond the introductory talks.
>
> Thoughts?

Yes, you should definitely put in a talk for ApacheCon / Apache Big Data
Europe too.  I have sent a submission for the Big Data Europe
conference.  I would do a Pirk talk too but don't know enough to answer
the tough questions yet ;-)

Regards,
Tim

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2016