Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Dongyu Yang <ya...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/30 15:57:28 UTC

How portlet communicate with other application

Hi all:
       I am newer of jetspeed2, and I want to konw how can a portlet
communicate with other application?

       Thanks for your help!

Re: How portlet communicate with other application

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I think that he was trying to get data moved between a portal and a
batch program or another webapp.

Ron
On 19/09/2012 4:31 AM, Ron McNulty wrote:
> I suggest you check out the JSR286 spec. Both IPC and global render
> parameters can share data between portlets, and Jetspeed supports both.
>
> Regards
>
> Ron
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dongyu Yang" <ya...@gmail.com>

>>> 2) Shared database

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Portlets only exist in the context of a user session. If no one is
viewing a page with that portlet on it, then the portlet does not exist.
This means that the concept of "sending data to a portlet" is not a good
way to look at the problem.

One way to look at the problem is that the sending application has to
put the data somewhere that the portlet can find it and act on it.

In a WebServices or remoting solution, the extended application would be
running all the time with the data that the portlet wants (WebApp for
example) and the portlet makes some sort of query to retrieve the data.
You can use any remote access to do this and it is done the same way in
a portal as in any other type of application.
The details are not really a question for this forum since it is not a
portal question and you can read up on the remote solution that you
select. We use Apache CXF but many other tools will work.

In a shared database solution, the extended app writes what it wants to
share in a database or file and the portlet reads the data from wherever
it has been written.
Once again, any number of database or file structures could be used.
Portlets can read any kind of data that you can write.

Posted by Dongyu Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.