Posted to user@spark.apache.org by diplomatic Guru <di...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/10 22:14:18 UTC

[Spark] RDDs are not persisting in memory

Hello team,

Spark version: 1.6.0

I'm trying to persist done data into memory for reusing them. However, when
I call rdd.cache() OR  rdd.persist(StorageLevel.MEMORY_ONLY())  it does not
store the data as I can not see any rdd information under WebUI (Storage
Tab).

Therefore I tried rdd.persist(StorageLevel.MEMORY_AND_DISK()), for which it
stored the data into Disk only as shown in below screenshot:

[image: Inline images 2]

Do you know why the memory is not being used?

Is there a configuration in cluster level to stop jobs from storing data
into memory altogether?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Guru

Re: [Spark] RDDs are not persisting in memory

Posted by diplomatic Guru <di...@gmail.com>.
Hello team. so I found and resolved the issue. In case if someone run into
same problem this was the problem.

>>Each nodes were allocated 1397MB memory for storages.
16/10/11 13:16:58 INFO storage.MemoryStore: MemoryStore started with
capacity 1397.3 MB

>> However, my RDD exceeded the storage limit (although it says computed
1224MB).

16/10/11 13:18:36 WARN storage.MemoryStore: Not enough space to cache
rdd_6_0 in memory! (computed 1224.3 MB so far)
16/10/11 13:18:36 INFO storage.MemoryStore: Memory use = 331.8 KB (blocks)
+ 1224.3 MB (scratch space shared across 2 tasks(s)) = 1224.6 MB. Storage
limit = 1397.3 MB.

Therefore, I repartitioned the RDDs for better memory utilisation, wich
resolved the issue.

Kind regards,

Guru

Posted by diplomatic Guru <di...@gmail.com>.