Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ashley Gould <ag...@ucop.edu> on 2005/11/05 00:05:02 UTC

[users@httpd] apachectl trivia question

If I make changes to httpd.conf to activate an unused module, would the
new module be available by running apachclt graceful, or do I need to do
a full stop start?

--

-ashley

Did you try poking at it with a stick?

Re: [users@httpd] apachectl trivia question

Posted by alfredo <or...@virgilio.it>.
Ashley Gould wrote:
> If I make changes to httpd.conf to activate an unused module, would the
> new module be available by running apachclt graceful, or do I need to do
> a full stop start?

apachectl graceful    Gracefully restarts the Apache daemon by sending
                  it  a SIGUSR1.  If the daemon is not running, it
                  is started.  This differs from a normal  restart
                  in  that  currently  open  connections  are  not
                  aborted.  A side effect is that  old  log  files
                  will not be closed immediately.  This means that
                  if used in a log rotation script, a  substantial
                  delay  may  be  necessary to ensure that the old
                  log files are  closed  before  processing  them.
                  This command automatically checks the configura-
                  tion files via configtest before initiating  the
                  restart to make sure Apache doesn't die.

so is the same, or better than, stop and restart the server

bye
alf