Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/03/01 23:15:59 UTC

New DEFLATE algorithm from Google

http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2013/02/compress-data-more-densely-with-zopfli.html

8% better compression at the cost of slower compression.
Decompression speed is said to be unchanged.  Apache License 2.0.

Do we have any use for this?

Probably not a good trade-off for the use of DEFLATE in our document
compression -- we don't want to slow down the saving operation.  But
would this be useful in the install sets?

-Rob

Re: New DEFLATE algorithm from Google

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 13-03-01, at 17:15 , Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> http://googledevelopers.blogspot.com/2013/02/compress-data-more-densely-with-zopfli.html
>
> 8% better compression at the cost of slower compression.
> Decompression speed is said to be unchanged.  Apache License 2.0.
>
> Do we have any use for this?
>
> Probably not a good trade-off for the use of DEFLATE in our document
> compression -- we don't want to slow down the saving operation.  But
> would this be useful in the install sets?
>
> -Rob

I read over the short account. The telling statement:

"Due to the amount of CPU time required — 2 to 3 orders of magnitude more than zlib at maximum quality — Zopfli is best suited for applications where data is compressed once and sent over a network many times, for example, static content for the web."

So, I'd think that using this new algorithm for installations sets makes sense. For all other uses, I'd agree with you, it does not seem useful for us.

Louis