Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eric Wu <ew...@globalmedic.com> on 2001/02/13 17:24:07 UTC

Submission - Struts installation notes - JRun 3.0

Here is a draft of struts installation notes for JRun 3.0.  If there are any
inaccuracies, please let me know....

STRUTS INSTALLATION NOTES - JRun 3.0
------------------------------------

TESTED ENVIRONMENT (your mileage may vary):
	JRun 3.0 SP2a, Version 3.02a.11614
	Microsoft IIS 5.0, Windows 2000

IMPORTANT NOTE:
---------------
At the moment, JRun is not fully compliant with the JSP 1.1/1.2
specification.
Specifically, the automatic type conversions for custom tag parameters
specified in "Issue
7" of the JSP 1.1 Errata and in the JSP 1.2 Proposed Final Draft have not
yet been
implemented.

As it stands, JSP pages that make use of Struts taglibs whose parameters
require
conversion (such as booleans) will not compile under JRun.  This includes
the Struts
Example Application. Attempting to run the example application will result
in an
exception similar to the following being thrown:

     /struts-example/index.jsp:

     javax.servlet.ServletException: Compilation error occured:

     allaire.jrun.scripting.DefaultCFE:
     Errors reported by compiler:c:/JRun/servers/default/Struts Example/WEB-
     INF/jsp/jrun__index2ejspa.java:41:1:41:27: Error: No match was found
for method
     "setLocale(java.lang.String)".

(For more details refer to:
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg01860.html)

The following instructions describe how to install the Struts Example
Application under
JRun.  A subsequent section describes how the Struts Example Application can
be
patched to work with Struts

The following instructions assume the following:
     * JRun has been installed and integrated with the web server of choice
     * $APP_SERVER_NAME is the name of the application server used to host
the
       application.  (When JRun is first installed, it creates an
application server
       called JRun Default Server)
     * $APP_SERVER_DIR is the directory used to hold applications hosted by
       $APP_SERVER_NAME.  For the JRun Default Server, the directory is
       $JRUN_HOME/servers/default where $JRUN_HOME is the directory where
       JRun is installed.

INSTALLING THE STRUTS EXAMPLE APPLICATION
     * Login to the JRun Management Console.
     * On the left pane, select $APP_SERVER_NAME.  A page showing the
current
       server status will be shown on the right pane.
     * On the right pane, click on the WAR Deployment link.  A page
containing a list
       of the currently deployed web applications will be shown.
     * On the right pane, click on Deploy an Application.  Complete the Web
       Application Information form as follows:
           o Servlet War File or Directory:  Enter the full path where
struts-example.war
             is found or click on Browse to select the path.
           o JRun Server Name:  $APP_SERVER_NAME
           o Application Name:  Struts Example
           o Application Hosts:  All Hosts
           o Application URL:   /struts-example
           o Application Deploy Directory:  will default to
$APP_SERVER_NAME/Struts Example
             (or the name as specified for Application Name)
     * Once the form is complete, click on the Deploy button.
     * If deployment is successful, restart the application server by
clicking on
       $APP_SERVER_NAME on the left pane.  A page showing the current server

       status will be shown on the right pane.  Click the Restart Server
button to restart
       the application server.
     * Test the sample application by using the following URL in the
browser:
            http://hostname/struts-example/index.jsp

The struts-documentation.war can be installed using the same procedure.

INSTALLING UNPACKED WEB APPLICATIONS
------------------------------------
The above steps should be followed for applications deployed as *.war files.
For
unpacked web applications, configuration involves the following steps:
     * From the JRun Management Console, select $APP_SERVER_NAME (on the
left
       pane) and click on WAR Deployment (on the right pane)
     * On the right pane, click on Create an Application and complete the
Web
       Application Information form as follows:
     * JRun Server Name:  $APP_SERVER_NAME
          o Application Name:  myApplication
          o Application Hosts:  All Hosts
          o Application URL:   /myApplication
          o Application Deploy Directory:  will default to
$APP_SERVER_NAME/myApplication
     * Click on Create to submit the form.
     * Once the web application is created, install and configure the struts
components
       (struts.jar, struts*.tld, etc) for the web application under
       $APP_SERVER_NAME/myApplication/WEB-INF
     * Install the remaining components of the application:  .class files,
JSP pages,
       .properties files etc  as required.
     * To configure the extension mapping of the request URI (ie *.do) to
the action
       servlet, expand $APP_SERVER_NAME on the left pane, expand the Web
       Applications branch and click on myApplication.  The right pane will
display the
       configuration options for myApplication.  Click on Servlet URL
Mappings.  A list
       of existing mappings will be shown.  Click the Edit button and create
the
       following entry:
          o Virtual Path/Extension:   *.do
          o Servlet Invoked:  action
     * Click on the Update button to save the changes.
     * Restart the application server.
     * The application should now be accessible from the browser.

The JRun application server will need to be restarted each time one of the
following
changes are made to the web application:
     * .class or .jar files are modified
     * .properties files are modified
     * .xml files are modified

PATCHING THE STRUTS EXAMPLE APPLICATION
filter="true" to
                                            filter=<%= true %>

Eric Wu
Java Architect
www.GlobalMedic.com
Tel.: 514.738.6770 / 1.888.986.3342
Fax.: 514.738.4827

Silver WWW Health Awards Winner
Globe & Mail  Top 25 e-Businesses in Canada - #5
http://www.globetechnology.com/site/specials/e-25/

Visit www.medalliance.ca, GlobalMedic's new healthcare network for
physicians, pharmacists, patients and consumers, developed in collaboration
with Les Éditions Santé Rogers Media.

Re: Struts installation notes

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.

> STRUTS INSTALLATION NOTES - JRun 3.0
>
> TESTED ENVIRONMENT (your mileage may vary):
>         JRun 3.0 SP2a, Version 3.02a.11614
>         Microsoft IIS 5.0, Windows 2000

Thanks so much, Eric!

Any other JRUN users: please, if possible, try to give these a whirl,
and let us know how they work for you!

So with JRUN and SilverStream being added today, of the containers most
often mentioned, we're down to Websphere! Any takers?