Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Stan Hendryx <st...@hendryxassoc.com> on 2020/03/22 04:50:50 UTC

Migrating from MSO

I’m evaluating migrating to OpenOffice from MSO, using a MacBook Pro with Mojave, MSO Office Mac 2011. I’m new to OpenOffice. I work on documents collaboratively with others who use MSO, so my edits need to be transparent to them in style and layout. My first trial had serious problems. I opened a .docx document in OpenOffice 4.1.7. The original document comprises multiple tables, one table per section, each table being about one or two pages or so, total 60 pages. When opened in OpenOffice, the font was changed from Times New Roman to Calibri. The footers do not show in OpenOffice, although they are listed and checked under Insert->Footer as Converted1-Converted59. The text boxes were missing. The number of pages was 57 instead of the original 60 (possibly due to the missing footers).  Are these problems endemic, or is there a way to avoid them, have my documents look the same as in MSO?
Advice?
Thank you,
Stan Hendryx

Re: Migrating from MSO

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
OpenOffice does currently have Issues with complex docx, xlsx, pptx
documents.

For better migration results you need to save documents in doc, xls or
rtf formats.

If you need modern Document File support you might want to look at other
alternative Office Products.

Re: Migrating from MSO

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 3/22/2020 9:37 AM, Lucetta wrote:
> Stick with Microsoft.
> I spent more time than I cared to sorting this out & eventually replaced software & older much loved hardware at an extremely awkward time.
>
> Not helped by a troll & disappearing & impossible to copy emails. (If you get a bizarre email sent to you personally through this group print it out as proof)
>
> Still love OO but eventually...
>
> All the best
> Lucetta

Lucetta we are not trolls. We are all volunteers who donate our time to
this project. It sounds as though you are unfamiliar with how mailing
lists work. Once you subscribe you get all mail sent to the list. You
can ignore what you want as you wish.The other way is to unsubscribe
from the list. The link to do that is at the bottom of every e-mail from
the list.

Regards
Keith

Re: Migrating from MSO