Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Knutsen Jeffrey S <Kn...@JohnDeere.com> on 2002/06/10 15:48:39 UTC

Please help me improve my question skills (number of tomcat apps)

I have submitted the following question and received no response.  I know
this isn't a technical problem, but I was hoping for responses from real
developers.  I thought it was a simple question, and have always received
excellent and quick responses from the tomcat mail list in the past, so the
problem must be with me or the way I am asking.

Can someone please help me improve myself?  Is this a stupid question?  Have
I perhaps asked it incorrectly?  I am open and receptive to any constructive
criticism available (I can take it, but maybe you could send a direct
response if you want to be extremely brutal?!)

All I really want to know is how many applications real developers are
putting on one machine in the real world. I am just looking for an abstract
number, and I am not worried about system configurations at this time.

Thanks!

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

I am doing some Tomcat cost/benefit projections for my company.  I need to
determine the maximum number of applications that will run on Tomcat and
still provide stable performance.  I am not interested in a theoretical
number at this time, just seeking information about what real developers are
actually doing with real applications.

At this time, I am not interested in what machine types, OSs,
configurations, versions, are being used.  I understand the answer to my
questions will depend heavily on these issues as well as on the applications
themselves.  I just need to come up with a realistic number of
instances/apps which are being run on a single machine by real users. I am
seeking an answer to the following two questions:

Number of Tomcat instances I am running on one machine:

Number of individual applications I am running in all instances of Tomcat on
one machine:

Please feel free to respond to the mail list, or to me directly at
knutsenjeffreys@johndeere.com (if we don't want to clog the list with
answers to this question).  I will post a final resolution message to the
mail list when I have come to some sort of conclusion.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Please help me improve my question skills (number of tomcat apps)

Posted by Adrian <at...@charter.net>.
Your question cannot be answered without specifying criteria.
1) OS type
2) JVM type
3) Type and Complexity of Application
4) Are you using connectors
5) Are you connecting to databases

Your current question is like asking how fast and how far will a car go. I
don`t care what
kind of car, or engine.

Adrian

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Knutsen Jeffrey S wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:48:39 -0500
> From: Knutsen Jeffrey S <Kn...@JohnDeere.com>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Please help me improve my question skills (number of tomcat apps)
>
> I have submitted the following question and received no response.  I know
> this isn't a technical problem, but I was hoping for responses from real
> developers.  I thought it was a simple question, and have always received
> excellent and quick responses from the tomcat mail list in the past, so the
> problem must be with me or the way I am asking.
>
> Can someone please help me improve myself?  Is this a stupid question?  Have
> I perhaps asked it incorrectly?  I am open and receptive to any constructive
> criticism available (I can take it, but maybe you could send a direct
> response if you want to be extremely brutal?!)
>
> All I really want to know is how many applications real developers are
> putting on one machine in the real world. I am just looking for an abstract
> number, and I am not worried about system configurations at this time.

The problem is that there is no generally useful answer to your question
as stated.  It depends even more on the nature of the applications you are
talking about (when the answer might even be zero for a particular server
configuration) as the size of the server (an answer based on a 64-CPU
mega-server with 4 gigabytes of main memory isn't going to help you on a
small single-CPU Linux box with 64 megs).

There are no architectural limits on the number of webapps a single Tomcat
instance can support, or the number of Tomcat instances on a single
server.  It all comes down to what resource bottlenecks you run into first
in your application environment.  In many webapp environments, the first
bottleneck encountered is often database access, followed by the number of
simultenaous requests being processed.  Neither of those bottlenecks has
much directly to do with how many different webapps you are talking
about.

> Thanks!

Craig