Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/12/21 16:14:46 UTC

Roller 2.1 release?

We're wrapping up Roller 2.1 and Allen and I are starting to work on
our next set of features (due at end of January).

There's one 2.1 "feature" that remains to be done and that's "Download
LGPL dependencies" -- but since we've started to look at alternatives
to our biggest LGPL dependency (i.e. Hibernate), I'm not sure we need
to do this work right now.

Does anybody have the time to do the "Download LGPL dependencies" work
now, or shall we punt it and make preparations for the Roller
2.1-incubating release?

- Dave

PS. here's the release proposal:
http://www.rollerweblogger.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?
page=Proposal_Roller_2.1_Release

Re: RSD for 2.1 (was Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
I just did a quick diff of #358682 vs. my local changes and it looks good!

Thanks,

Sean

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.
Thanks for the responses. I added your comments to the appropriate
issues in JIRA and I reopened the ones that aren't complete.

Here is the list of issues still open for 2.1:

Improvement  ROL-912 UNRESOLVED Move LGPL deps into separate download
Improvement ROL-916 UNRESOLVED Switch to Acegi security
Improvement ROL-917 UNRESOLVED Use Velocity to generate database
creation/upgrade scripts
Improvement ROL-945 UNRESOLVED Support RSD for blog clients

- Dave

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
(1)  I'll be away from my computer starting Friday and through the new
year, so I won't be able to do much to help if folks want to release 2.1
during that time (not even testing).

(2) If we push Roller 2.1 out soon, we should add a note to the
installation guide about changing the keys in security.xml and have a
release note about the ROL-936 session timeout issue.  I haven't had
time to look into the guts of ROL-936 at all.

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> wrote:
> That sounds good Matt. I'm glad to hear that those tasks are going to
> be a standard part of Ant.
>
> Still, I'd rather defer the download LGPL work to Roller 2.2 and push
> Roller 2.1 out now, since the bug list is clear and it's running in
> production now. Allen and I are ready to get started with Roller 2.2
> work.

I believe there's still some cleanup to do for the Acegi Security
integration - particularly with the filter mapped to /* (should
probably match to a bunch of URLs rather than the root), as well as
SSL-based login.  Currently, specifying ports other than 8080/8443 and
80/443 has to be configured in security.xml rather than
roller.properties.

Matt

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Re: Maven 2 Ant Tasks (was Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Provided you can display a yes/no choice to the user so they have to
> manually accept each library; possibly needing to show the licence
> also;

I don't think the Maven Ant tasks will do the prompting or license
showing themselves, but I suppose we could have an Ant target that
enables the Maven tasks to do any necessary prompting.

 > Bear in mind, we need to do this for both LGPL and BCL dependencies.

The DownloadLGPLDependencies page on the wiki only enumerates LGPL jars.

Is there a more complete list of required/optional jars and their
licenses?  What are the essential Sun/BCL dependencies?

Anyway, I can make the time to try to integrate the Maven 2 Ant tasks
this weekend, and I can configure them to download Hibernate from the
ibiblio Maven repository, if this would be helpful.

-- Sean

p.s. Doing a quick glance in my subversion tree I see the following Sun
jars:

./tools/hibernate-3.0/lib/jta.jar
./tools/lib/activation.jar
./tools/lib/mail.jar

The latest versions of all three of these SUN packages have different
license agreements (although the activation and jta jars seem to have
the same basic text except the package name).  All of which allow
redistribution under a set of restrictions which include the restriction
"only bundled as part of your Programs".  This restriction would seem to
prohibit placing any of these jars in a public Maven repository.

I didn't mean to get off on this legal tangent since IANAL and I'm sure
the Apache incubation process is specifically designed to deal with
these issues.

Re: Maven 2 Ant Tasks (was Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Provided you can display a yes/no choice to the user so they have to
manually accept each library; possibly needing to show the licence
also; I don't see any problem, unless we hit a point where LGPL/BCL
licenses are not allowed as dependencies.

Bear in mind, we need to do this for both LGPL and BCL dependencies.

Will hassle Cliff for his latest thoughts. He spent a lot of time
talking with ASF/Legal people at ApacheCon on these kinds of issues.

Hen

Posted by Sean Gilligan <se...@msgilligan.com>.

Re: Roller 2.1 release?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.