Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/07 10:47:09 UTC

Re: FOSDEM (and ApacheCon) Proposal for DeviceMap

Bertrand/all,

This may be rather short notice, but I just got an email reminder by
O'Reilly about its Fluent conference:
http://fluentconf.com/fluent2013?imm_mid=09d494&cmp=em-code-newsletters-dec6-direct

I just recently proposed DeviceMap for a similar series of conferences
dedicated to Web and Mobile Development in Germany (German speaking
content) so I was wondering, if you'd prefer to do so at this event, or
consider a joint proposal or should I do so?

As I proposed a special talk on Mobile Gaming and the problems most games
are facing today, I especially intend to do that for Fluent, given Gaming
is in its scope.

The focus might be more on PhoneGap which (as usual[?]) is
even explicitly mentioned, but I wouldn't say, DeviceMap and similar
frameworks aren't crucial for Mobile apps e.g. if you use HTML5 (most
platforms render that from their language of choice, not many people do
plain static HTML[?])
The gaming topic sounds quite relevant, especially for games that are
simply scripted into native apps using PhoneGap and other cross-generators.

Werner

Re: FOSDEM (and ApacheCon) Proposal for DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...Beside this mailing list, either a Wiki or JIRA could also work for this kind of stuff...

Our jira project is at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP, and
we can get a moinmoin or confluence wiki if needed.

-Bertrand

Re: FOSDEM (and ApacheCon) Proposal for DeviceMap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
I hope so, too. Beside actual code commits, I'd hope we get a more lively
discussion on the actual repository and how to store/maintain it.

   - Flat files (basically similar to OpenDDR now)
   - A sort of repository similar to Maven/Ivy, etc. (files underneath may
   be simlar, but e.g. modularity or patching could be handled more easily
   than now)
   - A more dynamic approach similar to OSGi (at least for Java servers,
   though I'm sure, .NET has such technologies or OSGi ports, too)
   - Another type of repository like JCR (something especialy Adobe and
   former Day operations should be extremely comfortable with[?])
   - Some form of Services, ideally REST/JSON calls, that I believe was
   already mentioned, but not further outlined except when we briefly spoke to
   a JBoss Mobile RichFaces lead in Prague in September.

Just a few ideas to get a discussion started.
Beside this mailing list, either a Wiki or JIRA could also work for this
kind of stuff.

Cheers,
Werner

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: FOSDEM (and ApacheCon) Proposal for DeviceMap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Werner,

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://fluentconf.com/fluent2013?imm_mid=09d494&cmp=em-code-newsletters-dec6-direct
>
> I just recently proposed DeviceMap for a similar series of conferences dedicated to
> Web and Mobile Development in Germany (German speaking content) so I was
> wondering, if you'd prefer to do so at this event, or consider a joint proposal or
> should I do so?...

I'd say go ahead - I already have a few trips to the US planned for
2013 and I'm not looking for more at the moment.

-Bertrand