Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chuck Paussa <Ch...@systems.dhl.com> on 2002/02/05 00:31:30 UTC

Re: XML : FOP

EXT-Reddy, Swathi A wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am new to XML FOP. I saw your message about "Re: How to avoid using too
>much memory to create relatively large PDF file". I created an XML file with
><PAGE> tags. In my XSL file, I am using the following code to do page breaks
>-
><xsl:apply-templates select="page"/>
>   <fo:page-sequence master-name="master-sequence">
>      <fo:static-content flow-name="header">
>.
>I have a document that will generate 3000 pages. Is this conversion to PDF
>is feasible using FOP? Thanks.
>
>Swathi Reddy
>(206)544-8542
>Swathi.A.Reddy@Boeing.com

Swathi,
That's what you should do if you already exactly know the contents of
each page (such as your standard main-frame reports where text fields
are truncated and/or the page breaks are pre-calculated  when data
wraps.) If there is a lot of free-form text and you want FOP to deal
with text placement, then producing "sections" of pages that are less
than 50 pages should be fine.
(Also, you should post your questions to the list rather than sending
them directly to me.)

Chuck