Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Tom Bloomfield <to...@shopbloomfield.com> on 2004/11/18 05:06:20 UTC

Upgrading Lenya

Three questions that have been in my queue this week:

1.  I'm upgrading Lenya versions.  Since Lenya stores authoring content
under the webapps directory, what's the best way to upgrade while
preserving my existing content?  If I re-run "ant install" will it only
replace the core files, leaving project files in tact?
2.  Can I export a project from Lenya?  (Say export from machine A
running Lenya to machine B running Lenya..  I'm aiming to create nightly
backups...)
3.  Does Lenya have a task to "publish all submitted pages"?  I tend to
do bulk updates, and manually submitting, then publishing each is a bit
of a lengthy process.

TIA, I hope everyone had fun at ApacheCon!

Tom

Re: Upgrading Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Tom Bloomfield wrote:
> Three questions that have been in my queue this week:
>
> 1.  I'm upgrading Lenya versions.  Since Lenya stores authoring content
> under the webapps directory, what's the best way to upgrade while
> preserving my existing content?  If I re-run "ant install" will it only
> replace the core files, leaving project files in tact?

With "project files", do you mean your publications?
You can safely run "ant install" without your publication files
being affected.

> 2.  Can I export a project from Lenya?  (Say export from machine A
> running Lenya to machine B running Lenya..  I'm aiming to create nightly
> backups...)

This depends on what you want to achieve.

A backup shouldn't be a problem (just copy anything to another location)

If you want to replicate the contents of one Lenya instance to another
Lenya instance, there are some pitfalls:

- It is not officially supported to hot-deploy content.
   You're likely to get inconsistent states of the Java objects
   when you exchange the content (e.g., sitetree) "under their feet".

   You should rather
   - shut down Lenya
   - deploy the content
   - startup Lenya

- You have to be sure to copy all required files (incl. workflow history
   files, revision files, work files, images, ...) to keep the
   publication in a consistent state.

- When you migrate to another web application with a different context
   path (e.g., lenya2 instead of lenya), you will have to re-write
   internal links, as they are not matched by the
   LinkRewritingTransformer anymore.

> 3.  Does Lenya have a task to "publish all submitted pages"?  I tend to
> do bulk updates, and manually submitting, then publishing each is a bit
> of a lengthy process.

In the Lenya core there is no such functionality.

In the UniCMS publications, there is a PublishTree task which publishes
a whole subtree. You might want to read the code and build your own
task based on the same principles.

In Lenya 1.4, this is much easier as it already ships with the site
management classes provided by the UniCMS publication (in a slightly
different way).

You find the CMS info of the UniCMS publications on www.wyona.org

HTH,
-- Andreas

Re: Upgrading Lenya

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Tom Bloomfield wrote:
>  >> In Lenya 1.4, this is much easier as it already ships with the site
> management classes provided by the UniCMS publication (in a slightly
> different way).
>
> Thanks for the tip - Is it available in English?

only the sample content is in german :)

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Upgrading Lenya

Posted by Tom Bloomfield <to...@shopbloomfield.com>.
 >> In Lenya 1.4, this is much easier as it already ships with the site
management classes provided by the UniCMS publication (in a slightly
different way).

Thanks for the tip - Is it available in English?

TB