Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Dy...@Sun.COM on 2008/02/26 17:36:51 UTC

Branching and release.properties

Looking ahead to the upcoming branching for 10.4, I have some questions
to the instructions at

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease

The text instructs you to "edit tools/ant/release.properties". But this
file does not exist, but tools/ant/properties/release.properties
does. I'm I correct in assuming that there is a typo in the text?

Also, the wiki page only mentions changes to this file on TRUNK. Does
that mean that the release.propertes NOW found on trunk, should be
copied as is to the branch and remain unmodified until the first relase
candidate is created? The text talks about "zero out the maint property
and ensure that the beta flag is set to true". That is already true on
trunk and doing svn copy will not change that. So is there an implicit
intermediate step here where these properties are modified on trunk
before cutting the branch?

I guess we will need a 10.5 release in Jira after this. Do I have the
necessary karma to add this, and if so, how do I do it? I'm assuming
this can be done before actually cutting the branch?

--

Dyre Tjeldvoll

Re: Branching and release.properties

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
>> Looking ahead to the upcoming branching for 10.4, I have some questions
>> to the instructions at
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease
>>
>> The text instructs you to "edit tools/ant/release.properties". But this
>> file does not exist, but tools/ant/properties/release.properties
>> does. I'm I correct in assuming that there is a typo in the text?
>>
> Hi Dyre,
>
> You may find it useful to keep track of these typos as you proceed and
> then bulk-edit the instructions at the end. Alternatively, you may want
> to fix each of these as you trip across it.
>> Also, the wiki page only mentions changes to this file on TRUNK. Does
>> that mean that the release.propertes NOW found on trunk, should be
>> copied as is to the branch and remain unmodified until the first relase
>> candidate is created? The text talks about "zero out the maint property
>> and ensure that the beta flag is set to true". That is already true on
>> trunk and doing svn copy will not change that. So is there an implicit
>> intermediate step here where these properties are modified on trunk
>> before cutting the branch?
>>
> As I recall, you do this:
>
> 1) Create the branch.
>
> 2) Update release.properties on the trunk so that it now refers to a
> release that's far in the future (10.5 in your case).
>
> 3) Twiddle release.properties on the branch so that you will be building
> a release candidate or a beta rather than an alpha. This is described in
> step 1 under "For each release candidate". You can do this immediately
> after creating the branch or you can wait until you build the first
> candidate. My advice would be to do it sooner rather than later just to
> give yourself plenty of time to dry run the release machinery.
>
> The alpha-ness of the release number is a tricky side-effect of the
> trailing two digits.

This sounds reasonable. I'll update the Wiki.

>> I guess we will need a 10.5 release in Jira after this. Do I have the
>> necessary karma to add this, and if so, how do I do it? I'm assuming
>> this can be done before actually cutting the branch?
>>
> I have created a 10.5.0.0 for you.
>
> Hope this helps,

It sure does. Thanks Rick :)

Dyre

Re: Branching and release.properties

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Looking ahead to the upcoming branching for 10.4, I have some questions
> to the instructions at
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease
>
> The text instructs you to "edit tools/ant/release.properties". But this
> file does not exist, but tools/ant/properties/release.properties
> does. I'm I correct in assuming that there is a typo in the text?

Hi Dyre,

You may find it useful to keep track of these typos as you proceed and
then bulk-edit the instructions at the end. Alternatively, you may want
to fix each of these as you trip across it.
> Also, the wiki page only mentions changes to this file on TRUNK. Does
> that mean that the release.propertes NOW found on trunk, should be
> copied as is to the branch and remain unmodified until the first relase
> candidate is created? The text talks about "zero out the maint property
> and ensure that the beta flag is set to true". That is already true on
> trunk and doing svn copy will not change that. So is there an implicit
> intermediate step here where these properties are modified on trunk
> before cutting the branch?

As I recall, you do this:

1) Create the branch.

2) Update release.properties on the trunk so that it now refers to a
release that's far in the future (10.5 in your case).

3) Twiddle release.properties on the branch so that you will be building
a release candidate or a beta rather than an alpha. This is described in
step 1 under "For each release candidate". You can do this immediately
after creating the branch or you can wait until you build the first
candidate. My advice would be to do it sooner rather than later just to
give yourself plenty of time to dry run the release machinery.

The alpha-ness of the release number is a tricky side-effect of the
trailing two digits.
> I guess we will need a 10.5 release in Jira after this. Do I have the
> necessary karma to add this, and if so, how do I do it? I'm assuming
> this can be done before actually cutting the branch?

I have created a 10.5.0.0 for you.

Hope this helps,
-Rick