Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Panos Konstantinidis <gi...@yahoo.com> on 2003/03/15 01:04:42 UTC

Re: Desperate help needed: normalize() throwing NullPointerException

  Posting some of the code that throws the exception
would help.

--- Kirsten Barber <ki...@san.rr.com> wrote:

---------------------------------
I'm not sure if this is the right list to be mailing
to, but any help atall would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to normalize the following XML document,
and am getting aNullPointerException. I have tried
parsing my document with two separateprograms
successfully, but Xerces will not parse or normalize.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give
me. I'm just totallydumbfounded!!

The stack trace for my error is:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.normalize(ElementImpl.java:311)
at
org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.normalize(ElementImpl.java:318)
at
org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.normalize(ElementImpl.java:318)
at
org.apache.xerces.dom.ElementImpl.normalize(ElementImpl.java:318)
at
org.apache.xerces.dom.ParentNode.normalize(ParentNode.java:834)
at ascp.XMLManager.storeXML(XMLManager.java:195)

My XML document contents are:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<survey>
<logistics>
<uploadDate>2003-03-14</uploadDate>
<user>
<userName>someAddress@company.com</userName>
<tableOwner>barber</tableOwner>
</user>
<xmlfile>
<location>tmp9043.xml</location>
</xmlfile>
</logistics>
<entries>
<question mandatoryResponse="false"position="1">
<type>textBox</type>
<quesName>q1</quesName>
<text>name</text>
</question>
</entries>
<title>
<text color="black"font="verdana">ccc</text>
</title>
<surveyName>ccc</surveyName>
</survey>