Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com> on 2003/02/05 21:59:58 UTC

What is the history of the j2ee plugin, and why is there some duplicate functionality there for ear files?

I've been working with the ejb plugin a bit, considering what I need to
add to it to make it do what I want, same for the ear plugin. I am
confused as to why there is duplicate ear functionality in the j2ee
plugin, as well as a number of properties in the j2ee plugin docs, for
ejbs and other artifacts that it doesn't actually have any code to
handle (not that it would be bad if the ejb plugin did have similar
properties). Looking in the mailing list archives didn't really clear
this up for me.

At this point I find the ejb plugin (and ear) plugin useless except for
some very simplistic cases, so am interested in enhancing it, or will
just bypass it completely if people don't want to see any changes to it...

Re: What is the history of the j2ee plugin, and why is there some duplicate functionality there for ear files?

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
That would probably be useful.
There are a number of things that could be improved, although I'm
beginning to doubt that you could every cover everything most people
need. I think what needs to be added for sure is control over the final
output filename (I already submitted a very small patch for that), so it
can coexist with the same project putting out a jar file with regular
code. It needs control over what classes are included in the jar (either
with includes and excludes when using the normal jar function, or the
ability to control ejbjar's option for this.   When I look at my needs
though I'm not sure a generic plugin would be able to handle them
though. For example, I use a special version of ejbjar I compiled
(submitted as a patch to the ant group, but we'll see if it actually
makes it into 1.5.2) that knows what to do with EJB 2.0's local-refs
(normal ejb-jar barfs), and the jboss's 2.0 cmp descriptor xml, which
replaces the JAWS one. I also have build files that can build for both
JBoss and WebLogic.   So my feeling is that a significantly better ejb
module can be produced, but it would still only be able to handle the
simpler cases, and trying to take it past that point would end up making
things more complex than having people just use regular ant tasks in
maven.xml directly. An example of this is the maven xdoclet plugin,
which I initially used, but then figured made things more complicated
for me than just using xdoclet directly in maven.xml...

Darren Collins wrote:

>I modified the ejb plugin for a project I'm working on now. I changed it
>to use the Ant ejbjar task with support for the nested elements such as dtd
>and support.
>I had plans to submit the changes but I've since gotten tied up in other
>issues and
>haven't had time to modify the docs, etc.
>
>Colin, I'm not sure what types of enhancements you have in mind but I can
>submit what I have
>and you can add what you think is needed.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
The J2EE plugin is old code that needs to be removed. Any war/ear
references in the J2EE plugin are superceded by the respective plugins.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

turbine-maven-user-help@jakarta.apache.org