Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com> on 2002/10/04 23:14:02 UTC

awt viewer issues

Hello there!

Please review my humble thoughts about awt viewer redesign.
1. First of all some classes seems to be completely unused. Among them
UserMessage, MessagesDialog and MessageException. Unfortunately I cannot
read german, but afaiu they probably supposed to provide localizable
option dialogs, exception etc for something more powerful than awt
viewer is at the moment. Do we need them?
2. awt viewer should take over caching of rendered pages in order to
simplify awt renderer.
3. awt viewer uses notion of language in its l10n stuff instead of more
standard and robust native java Locale class. This is so actually due to
the next point.
4. awt viewer is backing SecureResourceBundle with proprietary
LoadableProperties. This approach has pros and contras:
- no support for Locale
- no support for properties cascading
- duplicating of jre code
+ UTF-8 encoded properties files.
Reasonable alternative is using PropertyResourceBundle class, which
doesn't have these minuses and the only disadvantage of using it would
be the necessity to convert all resource files to latin1 encoding using
native2ascii and IMO this is not a very serious problem, one can always
use native2ascii -reverse in order to get human readable file.
I have modified awt viewer to using ResourceBundle this weekend and it
looks more robust to me and works fine (I have only verified english and
russian locales though).

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: awt viewer issues

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 16:35, Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> > If you could submit a patch that would be great.
>
> Ahem, against HEAD or maintenance branch?

I say HEAD.
For one thing it is possible to do the caching.

Re: awt viewer issues

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Keiron Liddle wrote:

> >2. awt viewer should take over caching of rendered pages in order to
> >simplify awt renderer.
>

> It should be possible to use a cached store pages model that can handle
> that. See the CachedRenderPagesModel, it would be very similar except it
> would not dispose of the page and would need some way to indicate the
> page does not need to be held in memory.

I will, thanks for pointing the direction

> If you could submit a patch that would be great.

Ahem, against HEAD or maintenance branch?

PS. Glad to see you back Keiron, I had a feeling fop development was slowed
down this month.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: awt viewer issues

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Hi Oleg,

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 23:14, Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Please review my humble thoughts about awt viewer redesign.
> 1. First of all some classes seems to be completely unused. Among them
> UserMessage, MessagesDialog and MessageException. Unfortunately I cannot
> read german, but afaiu they probably supposed to provide localizable
> option dialogs, exception etc for something more powerful than awt
> viewer is at the moment. Do we need them?

I think they originally displayed an error message with the message
handler which is now replaced with logging. It didn't work very well if
there were a lot of error messages.
So they could probably be removed and replaced with something else.

> 2. awt viewer should take over caching of rendered pages in order to
> simplify awt renderer.

It should be possible to use a cached store pages model that can handle
that. See the CachedRenderPagesModel, it would be very similar except it
would not dispose of the page and would need some way to indicate the
page does not need to be held in memory.

> 3. awt viewer uses notion of language in its l10n stuff instead of more
> standard and robust native java Locale class. This is so actually due to
> the next point.
> 4. awt viewer is backing SecureResourceBundle with proprietary
> LoadableProperties. This approach has pros and contras:
> - no support for Locale
> - no support for properties cascading
> - duplicating of jre code
> + UTF-8 encoded properties files.
> Reasonable alternative is using PropertyResourceBundle class, which
> doesn't have these minuses and the only disadvantage of using it would
> be the necessity to convert all resource files to latin1 encoding using
> native2ascii and IMO this is not a very serious problem, one can always
> use native2ascii -reverse in order to get human readable file.
> I have modified awt viewer to using ResourceBundle this weekend and it
> looks more robust to me and works fine (I have only verified english and
> russian locales though).

I agree the java classes is the way to go with that.

If you could submit a patch that would be great.