Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com> on 2019/11/12 12:51:04 UTC

[DISCUSS] What to do with old community contributed plugins?

Hello people,

    we are preparing decommission of the old Plugin Portal 2.0 [1] which
is hosted on Oracle infrastructure. Before we turn off the switch we
need to decide what we want to do with the plugins contributed by all
the kind NetBeans community members over the years totaling ~20 GB. I
believe that we don't want to just delete these NBM files.

[1] http://plugins.netbeans.org/

    The problem here is the restriction that we can't use Apache
infrastructure to host any 3rd party binaries. The only thing what we
could potentially do is to publish module catalogs with references to
some other publicly accessible places.

Any opinions on what is the right thing to do?

Thanks,
-Jirka

Re: [DISCUSS] What to do with old community contributed plugins?

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I can host those 20GB. Is there some easy way to download everything?

--emi

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
I must say a big thanks to Emilian for hosting them. It is true that most
of then are not working with latest versions of NetBeans, but they are a
good source for those who wish to port them to the latest versions of
NetBeans. Otherwise all the work is lost.

How can one port their plugins to the new portal (
http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/pluginportal)?

http://netbeans.apache.org/plugins/ still points to
http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/. Is it on purpose or it should
point to  http://netbeans-vm.apache.org/pluginportal?

Thanks,

John.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
And here we go:

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Excellent!

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi again Emilian,

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi Emilian,

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

AW: [DISCUSS] What to do with old community contributed plugins?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
An idea is to store them on AWS S3, it should only cost 46c a month to
store, and if the data transfers out per month is less than 1GB then that
should be free, otherwise its 0.009c per GB for data transfers out over the
internet.

Thats coverable on my account if needed and over time we can move artefacts
not downloaded to less frequent storage options.

Regards

John

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey,