Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/09 22:02:01 UTC

Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Any objections to releasing maven-war-plugin and maven-deploy-plugin soon?

War Plugin
---------------

Version 2.1-alpha-2 is complete in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13804&styleName=Html&projectId=11150&Create=Create

Is this really still alpha?  Thoughts on calling it beta-1 instead or
just going for 2.1?  (I'm not a fan of baking the quality designation
into the version number anyway.)

Deploy Plugin
-------------------

There are two issues open (28,34) that need to be completed or shifted
to a future version.
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=11131&fixfor=13110

And the release notes (including those two issues that are still
assigned to 2.4) look like:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13110&styleName=Text&projectId=11131&Create=Create

Not many issues resolved here, but the new skip deployment feature
(MDEPLOY-63) has come up a few times on the user list.

Wendy

Re: Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Posted by hgomez <he...@gmail.com>.
I'm one of the user with problem with the war filtering.

I really need to inject some information like ${user.name} in web.xml

Hope you could fix it quickly :)

Regards

Posted by Tim Kettler <ti...@udo.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Napoleon Esmundo C. Ramirez
<na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In trunk, it says the maven-deploy-plugin still needs the release of
> maven-plugin-testing-harness and maven-plugin-plugin.

Yep.  I think that ends up meaning a release of plugin-tools [1] and
plugin-testing [2], since it doesn't look like those things get
released separately.

(I was looking at the wrong pom when I said deploy is waiting on invoker.)

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugin-tools/trunk/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugin-testing/trunk/

Posted by "Napoleon Esmundo C. Ramirez" <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Well, to me there is a couple of things that we need to do but if
nobody complains, let's go for 2.1

I'd be happy to have a release of the filtering thing so that I can
use it in the EAR plugin. It can't filter src/main/application and
many users are complaining :)

Thanks,
Stéphane

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was called alpha-1 because there were big changes, however i think
> we should go ahead with  2.1 since
> everyone seems very happy about it.
>
> -D
>
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 1:38 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> No objections.
>> But currently the war plugin trunk depends on other snapshots :
>> - org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-invoker-plugin:1.2-SNAPSHOT
>> - org.apache.maven.shared:maven-filtering:1.0-alpha-1-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> The first one has one issue open.
>> The second one is a new shared component which IMHO can be released.
>>
>> --
>> Olivier
>>
>> 2008/5/9 Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:
>>> Any objections to releasing maven-war-plugin and maven-deploy-plugin soon?
>>>
>>> War Plugin
>>> ---------------
>>>
>>> Version 2.1-alpha-2 is complete in JIRA:
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13804&styleName=Html&projectId=11150&Create=Create
>>>
>>> Is this really still alpha?  Thoughts on calling it beta-1 instead or
>>> just going for 2.1?  (I'm not a fan of baking the quality designation
>>> into the version number anyway.)
>>>
>>> Deploy Plugin
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> There are two issues open (28,34) that need to be completed or shifted
>>> to a future version.
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=11131&fixfor=13110
>>>
>>> And the release notes (including those two issues that are still
>>> assigned to 2.4) look like:
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13110&styleName=Text&projectId=11131&Create=Create
>>>
>>> Not many issues resolved here, but the new skip deployment feature
>>> (MDEPLOY-63) has come up a few times on the user list.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Wendy

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Releasing Maven Invoker and Maven Invoker Plugin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> This MINVOKER-43 issue seems to be hitting a lot of our projects. Is
> there something that's stopping us from releasing Maven Invoker 2.0.9
> and Maven Invoker Plugin 1.2.1?
>
> In JIRA there are only requests for new features left:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHARED/component/13271?selected=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:component-openissues-panel
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=11441&fixfor=-1
>

> I'm going to go through the documentation for both, and try to learn
> what they do in the process. If there's nothing holding back their
> releases I'll start preparing them.

I'm just about finished going through the documentation now. Maven
Invoker is OK, but for the plugin I have a couple of suggestions.
Hopefully someone more familiar with the plugin can help out with these.

I'd like to see a directory layout of a project with one IT in it on the
usage page, that matches with the configuration on that page. Many of
the different concepts are described in the various examples, but I
still can't "get" the big picture. I think a directory layout would help
with this. This should include files like settings.xml, goals.txt,
verify.bsh, pom.xml and build.log. Examples of the contents of
goals.txt, pom.xml and build.log would also be good.

Also a step-by-step walk-through of what happens (related to this
plugin) when you run 'mvn integration-test' would be a nice addition.

> Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
>> Hi Wendy,
>>
>>> Olivier, would you be able to make the change you describe below on
>>> the deploy plugin trunk?
>>
>> The "small change" is to switch back to using the Install Plugin to
>> stage the artifact under test into the IT repo. I hope Oliver doesn't
>> mind that I went for this ;-)
>>
>>> Or can you explain how to reproduce the problem *without* doing a
>>> release, so I can tell that what I'm adding to the pom fixes it?
>>
>> Steps to reproduce the problem on maven-deploy-plugin trunk:
>> - Enable snapshot repo for the ITs, e.g. add apache.snapshots to the
>> src/it/settings.xml
>> - Remove the execution of install:install-file I added in r681943
>> - Run "mvn clean verify"
>> - Check the target/its/mdeploy-45-test/build.log for this line
>>> [DEBUG] maven-deploy-plugin: resolved to version
>>> 2.4-20080802.034406-6 from repository apache.snapshots
>> which should have been
>>> [DEBUG] maven-deploy-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
>> if MINVOKER-43 wouldn't exist.
>>
>> In other words, the IT is not testing your locally build artifact.
>> This need not fail the tests as long as the snapshot erroneouly pulled
>> in from remote is good/recent enough, but the IT remains broken.
>>

>> Benjamin

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Releasing Maven Invoker and Maven Invoker Plugin

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Is there something that's stopping us from releasing Maven Invoker 2.0.9
> and Maven Invoker Plugin 1.2.1?

Not that I know of. I know Oliver had similar plans, so you two should
probably sync.

Benjamin

Releasing Maven Invoker and Maven Invoker Plugin (was: Releasng the war and deploy plugins)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
> Hi Wendy,
>
>> Olivier, would you be able to make the change you describe below on
>> the deploy plugin trunk?
>
> The "small change" is to switch back to using the Install Plugin to
> stage the artifact under test into the IT repo. I hope Oliver doesn't
> mind that I went for this ;-)
>
>> Or can you explain how to reproduce the problem *without* doing a
>> release, so I can tell that what I'm adding to the pom fixes it?
>
> Steps to reproduce the problem on maven-deploy-plugin trunk:
> - Enable snapshot repo for the ITs, e.g. add apache.snapshots to the
> src/it/settings.xml
> - Remove the execution of install:install-file I added in r681943
> - Run "mvn clean verify"
> - Check the target/its/mdeploy-45-test/build.log for this line
>> [DEBUG] maven-deploy-plugin: resolved to version 2.4-20080802.034406-6
>> from repository apache.snapshots
> which should have been
>> [DEBUG] maven-deploy-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
> if MINVOKER-43 wouldn't exist.
>
> In other words, the IT is not testing your locally build artifact. This
> need not fail the tests as long as the snapshot erroneouly pulled in
> from remote is good/recent enough, but the IT remains broken.
>

> Benjamin

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Yes (after my week-end ;-) ).

--
Olivier

AW: Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Posted by "Annies, Sebastian" <se...@coremedia.com>.
Thank you, Benjamin
as it seems you just downgraded to parent 11 and everything works.
Is it ready for release now? I'd like to finally use it!

Grüße,
Sebastian

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:

> Strangely, the integration test for MDEPLOY-45 is now failing for me,
> complaining that it can't find maven-deploy-plugin 2.4-SNAPSHOT
> [...]
> I'd swear it worked initially, then
> failed when I tried to release, and now it's failing just with 'mvn
> install'.

So, I assume your local POM states 2.4 as the version, right? Then it
should only be a matter of a bad IT POM: It literally specified
"2.4-SNAPSHOT" as the version for the plugin instead of "@pom.version@"
which is replaced by the Invoker Plugin with the actual version. I fixed
that in r681974 but better you have a second look at the IT POM yourself
since I am not familiar with its intention.

Benjamin

Re: Releasng the war and deploy plugins

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Benjamin Bentmann
<be...@udo.edu> wrote:

> The "small change" is to switch back to using the Install Plugin to stage
> the artifact under test into the IT repo. I hope Oliver doesn't mind that I
> went for this ;-)

Thanks!

Strangely, the integration test for MDEPLOY-45 is now failing for me,
complaining that it can't find maven-deploy-plugin 2.4-SNAPSHOT in
either central or local.central.  It's definitely there in my local
repo.

I thought mirrorOf=* in my settings.xml might be causing problems but
removing that didn't help.  Hudson says it's fine so it must be
something wrong on my side.  I'd swear it worked initially, then
failed when I tried to release, and now it's failing just with 'mvn
install'.

Here's the output from the it during the failed release:
http://people.apache.org/~wsmoak/maven/maven-deploy-plugin-failed-release-it45-build-log.txt

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Hi Wendy,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
I started a separate thread to see if someone can look at MWAR-133,
but it looks like the deploy plugin is ready to go.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.