Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Alex Salazar <al...@alexsalazar.com> on 2011/02/10 23:55:58 UTC

Issue with new contributors to the wiki

So I did a quick test on found that there doesn't seem to be an easy way for
someone new to quickly edit a wiki page and I think its worth discussing how
we should handle this.  The main reason I see this as a problem is around
documentation.  If the community at large can't touch the documentation then
it's left solely to the few committers to create and improve.

Here's the process I went through.
1. Cleared out all my cookies to remove my authorized identity
2. Navigated to the Developer Resources page
3. Click on the Confluence Wiki Space link
4. When prompted I registered as a new user to confluence
5. Navigated to the Apache Shiro project
6. Tried to Edit a page

Basically, no Edit or Add link shows up to me.

I checked other Apache projects to see if there was a standard and found
that I COULD add and edit pages for many of the other projects.  There's
seems to be two different ways other projects handle free form
community editing

1. What Cassandra does, where anyone can contribute to any part of the site.
 BTW they don't use Confluence so if you test this you'll have to create an
account on their own wiki.
2. What Felix does, where they have two Confluence spaces.  One locked down
like ours and one complete open for full wiki style contribution.  The open
space seems mostly focused on documentation.

I think the Felix route is probably best.

Thoughts?

Alex Salazar
571-276-7777
alex@alexsalazar.com

Re: Issue with new contributors to the wiki

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
For all these reasons, Tapestry requires a CLA from all contributors.
Compared to creating documentation patches against APT format (in
principle, not that difficult either), requiring a CLA w/ confluence
has significantly lower the barrier of entry. If it's just a typo fix,
committers have been happy to apply changes as they come to the
mailing list.

Kalle

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
On Feb 10, 2011, at 5:15 PM, Alex Salazar wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Can you clarify?
>
> We decided to allow the community at large to edit documentation and
> were
> flexible on the CLA issue, could that content be autoexported to
> shiro.apache.org so that it looked good and loaded quickly in a
> browser?

I think you're asking for trouble allowing the public to edit
documentation that then automatically becomes part of the official web
site (as opposed to "community discussion").

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
The big question for me is does the ASF _mandate_ that user guide
content be formulated by CLA submitters, or can anyone contribute to
documentation?  If not mandated, my vote would be to allow that
content.  Practically any barrier to improving documentation is a bad
thing IMO (unless there are mandated legal reasons for it otherwise).

Thoughts?

Les

Posted by Alex Salazar <al...@alexsalazar.com>.
Craig,

Posted by Alex Salazar <al...@alexsalazar.com>.
A fair point.

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 10, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Alex Salazar wrote:

> Great insight Craig.  Do you know if there's any public discussion
> about the
> move to a CMS?

It's not on a public list but there's info on the public web site.
I've included some more info below.

> So if the website is likely to move to a CMS then it might make
> sense to
> just create a separate wiki for documentation since we'll need one
> anyways.

Right.

> And if the community agrees, we can have the wiki type that Craig
> highlighted below where documentation and useful user contributions
> are
> stored.  This could be restricted to people who register for the
> wiki and
> since that's a fairly straight forward process, I feel it would be
> something
> most intent contributors would be ok with.

Right. But we will still need to monitor the wiki for bad content. We
want to make it easy for folks to contribute, and this also means we
make it easy for folks to spam us. :-(

Craig

> Alex

Here's some more info on Confluence -> CMS migration.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>
> Date: January 29, 2011 11:05:46 AM PST
> To: Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>
> Cc: infrastructure@apache.org
> Subject: Re: Converting Confluence to CMS
>
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Apache CXF has rather a giant raft of Confluence. Has there been
>> any news I've missed about tools to assist in migration?
>
> I wrote a tool which I used to migrate the ComDev site, and I
> believe Zoe used it for the Aries one too. It's available at
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/conversion-utilities/cwiki
>
> Nick
Here are some links to the new CMS system.

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Alex Salazar <al...@alexsalazar.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
It is my understanding that only CLA contributors are allowed to
contribute to documentation to ensure their content is compatible
under the Apache 2.0 license.  I believe there is a 'cla' group in
confluence that represents all CLA users, and I'm pretty sure that
everyone in that group can edit our wiki pages.

Craig, Alan, (or anyone else who might know) - do you know if we're
allowed to have a 'completely open' space where anyone can post, even
those who haven't submitted a CLA?

My assumption is that it would be ok to do this.  For example, Jira
end-users aren't always CLA-cleared, but the ASF considers all issue
comments and patches to be 'contributions under ASL 2.0'.  Can't that