Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2016/04/19 23:55:37 UTC

Fwd: [DISCUSS] Emeritus Committer Status

There may be some merit in this idea from the Cloudstack team.

Ron

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I'm not sure that we have any separate project bylaws (it sounds like
something legal :-) but I know that we do document and implement
proposals based on community feedback (e.g regarding filing ICLA's).

It sounds like essentially the idea is that if a committer wants become
emeritus then they need to email the PMC to let them know. And if they
want to change back then they do the same thing. This puts the
responsibility on the committer to communicate it.

The term 'inactive' may mean different things to different people.
People do have valid reasons why they are not active for certain periods
(e.g studying, working on an intense project, or just taking a break).
In each of examples people may seem to be inactive but with the
intention to return after the break. I suppose sometimes people dont
really know how long they will be away (and sometimes it happens
unintentionally) so I think giving the committer the choice to become
emeritus or not, will be a good thing.

BTW I see we already have an emeritus PMC section.  I would suggest that
only have one emeritus section that includes PMC and Committers (as PMC
are committers by default anyway) and a column could be added to
indicate PMC or not if required. Also the people we have on the current
inactive list – have they actually said that they would be inactive? (if
so then they could be on emeritus list...)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.