Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 19:59:50 UTC

Dependency plugin chaos was Re: Logging

Which, from my point of view, proves our failure.
A user should never have to use maven in debug to understand its project
dependencies.
dependency:tree, list, analyze should be our first calls mojo to help users
to sanitize their dependencies and to better understand the how maven is
doing the resolution.
Release after release of maven core and dependency plugin these tools
regressed a lot (I greatly regret to didn't have noticed it sooner to put
some -1)

there are some others issues (improvements) that are reducing a lot its
utility :
* https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP-152 : Analyze main and test
dependencies separately
* All issues about "erroneous" missing test/runtime deps. For this one I
would like to add an extension mechanism to allow to find references in
non-java classes (IOC descriptors, web.xml ...) to at least reduce the noise

Our detractors are often criticizing our dependencies management but I
admit that we don't really help our users to give them the right tools to
analyze/cleanup them.

(A related maven limitation : The horrible relocation system that is never
used because the process is too complex creating many many conflict issues
when projects have to change the identity of their artifacts).

Arnaud, sad to not being able to find the time to do something else than
complaining and reporting issues

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:

> Personally I find "-X dependency:tree" -way- more useful.  Half the time
> when I'm trying to track down dependency problems maven itself fails to
> fully resolve dependencies and crashes out the mojo without displaying
> anything useful, so you end up looking though the debug information to find
> which last dep. resolution triggered things to die.
>

> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>
>> votes. And IMHO dependency:tree is one of the most important when you
>> want to debug to dependencies.

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net