Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by Jeff Lynn <jm...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/07 04:28:00 UTC

Are there any write-up on SocketAppender other than JavaDoc?

Hi,

I am using ConsoleAppender and FileAppender and is looking to learn about how to use SocketAppender.  Are there any write-up or example code for the SocketAppender "server?" to receive the log message?  What is the template for this SocketAppender listener to receive the log msg?

jml

Re: Are there any write-up on SocketAppender other than JavaDoc?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Dec 6, 2004, at 9:28 PM, Jeff Lynn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using ConsoleAppender and FileAppender and is looking to learn
> about how to use SocketAppender.  Are there any write-up or example
> code for the SocketAppender "server?" to receive the log message?
> What is the template for this SocketAppender listener to receive the
> log msg?
>
> jml

In my personal opinion, the current implementation of SocketAppender is
not very useful since it does not interoperate with the socket appender
of log4j and/or log4net.  There has been a long outstanding enhancement
request to address that (it is one of the low numbered ones), but has
seen no action yet.  There is some current discussion on the log4j
mailing list regarding future directions for its SocketAppender
implementation that would effect the eventual resolution of that issue.

You can use XMLSocketAppender to talk with the log4j's Chainsaw logging
monitor application.  I don't have first hand knowledge of using it,
but it has been discussed on the list and there should be enough info
to get going in those previous messages.