Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2016/08/15 09:37:10 UTC

[QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Hi,

After reading http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/linking in details I noticed it's suggested to have a "Thanks" page

I looked at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Revised+Website+Structure+v2+-+Approved and noticed we have not a such page (@Emmanuel:
this is WIP for our current site replacement)

Maybe we could create one and put a link from the footer.

I notably read in the foundation link:
"May include a small third party logo for the donor or the goods, and may include a simple HTML link back to the donor."
"May include historical donations that were actively used in the past, but are not currently being used. These items should be marked as such."

I'm thinking about donated logos (HotWax and BrainFood), don't they deserve a special thanks? Of course other ideas may show up, maybe IntelliJ and
Packt Publishing but they rather donate at the ASF level...

Jacques

Re: [QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 15/08/2016 � 12:37, Sharan Foga a �crit :
> Hi Jacques
>
> I think it would be good to have a 'Thanks' page (I'm surprised that we don't have one already!). The page itself is something that doesn't have to
> be on the website, it could just be a wiki page that is linked to from the website and that could make it a lot easier to maintain.

+1

> Including a 'Thanks' link in the footer, would be OK for me but not logos as we have faced a few challenges in the past because of various company
> logos being displayed on our website home page, and anything in the footer is also in the home page.
>
> I don't see a problem adding logos the the 'Thanks' page itself

+1

> You have mentioned some names in your message but there are probably more...

Yep, it's open to discuss :)

Jacques

Re: [QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 16/08/2016 � 09:51, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :
> Le 16/08/2016 � 08:46, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it would be good to have a 'Thanks' page (I'm surprised that we
>>> don't have one already!).
>> We could start thinking about a custom "Thanks" page but I am a bit
>> concerned about the pressure the PMC may receive about what to publish on
>> it and my preference would be to postpone this discussion and for now
>> simply thank the official ASF wide sponsors.
>>
>> Jacopo
>
> There is no hurry, one thing we could do is discuss the content of this new wiki page linked from the main site in the user ML
> If we see too much pressure then indeed better to postpone or even forget...
>
> Jacques

A link to this page from a "Thanks" wiki page would fit IMO http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/ofbiz/new-apache-ofbiz-logo/ it adds a nice history

Jacques

Re: [QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: [QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Given this extra information \u2013 I think it would be good for the thanks link to be the official ASF wide sponsors.

We can still look at discussing and creating a wiki thanks page for the project itself as there seems to be some support for it and if agreed perhaps have a prominent link in the wiki navigation system.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [QUESTION] A "Thanks" page?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.