Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2014/03/02 22:17:48 UTC

ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Hello guys,

I've recently came across the bug CLOUDSTACK-5429 which has rebooted all of my host servers without properly shutting down the guest vms. I've simply upgraded and rebooted one of the nfs primary storage servers and a few minutes later, to my horror, i've found out that all of my host servers have been rebooted. Is it just me thinking so, or is this bug should be fixed ASAP and should be a blocker for any new ACS release. I mean not only does it cause downtime, but also possible data loss and server corruption.

Not sure if one can wait for another year or so until 4.4 is out which may or may not have the fix for this serious issue. From the bug report it seems that this problem is assigned to Edison Su.

Edison, could you please get in touch to discuss a possible temporary fix to this problem as this is causing a number of issues.

Does anyone know if you can block the reboot request initiated by the cloudstack agent on the OS level?

Many thanks for any help

Andrei

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.
On Mar 4, 2014, at 3:38 PM, Marcus wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:34 AM, France <ma...@isg.si> wrote:
>> Hi Marcus and others.
>>
>> There is no need to kill of the entire hypervisor, if one of the primary
>> storages fail.
>> You just need to kill the VMs and probably disable SR on XenServer, because
>> all other SRs and VMs have no problems.
>> if you kill those, then you can safely start them elsewhere. On XenServer
>> 6.2 you call destroy the VMs which lost access to NFS without any problems.
>
> That's a great idea, but as already mentioned, it doesn't work in
> practice. You can't kill a VM that is hanging in D state, waiting on
> storage. I also mentioned that it causes problems for libvirt and much
> of the other system not using the storage.

You can on XS 6.2 as tried in in real life and reported by others as well.

>> If you really want to still kill the entire host and it's VMs in one go, I
>> would suggest live migrating the VMs which have had not lost their storage
>> off first, and then kill those VMs on a stale NFS by doing hard reboot.
>> Additional time, while migrating working VMs, would even give some grace
>> time for NFS to maybe recover. :-)
>
> You won't be able to live migrate a VM that is stuck in D state, or
> use libvirt to do so if one of its storage pools is unresponsive,
> anyway.

I dont want to live migrate VMs in D state, just the working VMs. Those stuck can die with hypervisor reboot.

>> Hard reboot to recover from D state of NFS client can also be avoided by
>> using soft mount options.
>
> As mentioned, soft and intr very rarely actually work, in my
> experience. I wish they did as I truly have come to loathe NFS for it.
>

>> I run a bunch of Pacemaker/Corosync/Cman/Heartbeat/etc clusters and we don't
>> just kill whole nodes but fence services from specific nodes. STONITH is
>> implemented only when the node looses the quorum.
>
> Sure, but how do you fence a KVM host from an NFS server? I don't
> think we've written a firewall plugin that works to fence hosts from
> any NFS server. Regardless, what CloudStack does is more of a poor
> man's clustering, the mgmt server is the locking in the sense that it
> is managing what's going on, but it's not a real clustering service.
> Heck, it doesn't even STONITH, it tries to clean shutdown, which fails
> as well due to hanging NFS (per the mentioned bug, to fix it they'll
> need IPMI fencing or something like that).

In my case as well as in the case of OP, the hypervisor got rebooted successfully.

> I didn't write the code, I'm just saying that I can completely
> understand why it kills nodes when it deems that their storage has
> gone belly-up. It's dangerous to leave that D state VM hanging around,
> and it will until the NFS storage comes back. In a perfect world you'd
> just stop the VMs that were having the issue, or if there were no VMs
> you'd just de-register the storage from libvirt, I agree.

As previously stated on XS 6.2 you can "destroy" VMs with unaccessible NFS storage. I do not remember if processes were in the D state or whatever, cause i used the GUI, if i remember correctly. I am sure, you can test it yourself too.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
Of course, in the event that the NFS *server* is truly out, users may
prefer that no action is taken, everything stays as-is so that when it
comes back things can continue running. The main issue I can think of
with that is that NFS clients may think things were flushed to disk on
the NFS server that were not (if the NFS server hard crashed) if the
NFS server is running async. Then the VM processes will see corruption
and likely go into read-only and need reboot, anyway. The upside is
that unaffected storage might still run vms, and libvirt/host might
(??) recover when the NFS server comes back. There's also not
currently a way (that I'm aware of) for the agent/host side to ask the
mgmt server questions like 'is the server down, or is it just me?',
but some discovery method like that would be required, I think, since
the agent is what drives the HA right now (which also isn't great).

I just thought of one minor improvement to the situation that might
fix CLOUDSTACK-5429. They could potentially use the sysrq triggers to
force reboot.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 04.03.2014 12:55, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:

> Regarding having nfs and ceph storage in different clusters - sounds
> like a good idea for majority of cases, however, my setup will not
> allow me to do that just yet. I am using ceph for my root and data
> volumes and NFS for backup volumes.

Having tiered storage is one of the stronger features that have drawn
me towards Cloudstack, it should work better.
I do plan to have a second, slower tier for backups and other more
passive applications.

> I do currently need the backup
> volumes as snapshotting with KVM is somewhat broken / not fully
> working in 4.2.1. It has been improved from version 4.2.0 as it was
> completely broken. I am waiting for 4.3.0 where, hopefully, I would be
> able to keep snapshots on the primary storage (currently this feature
> is broken) which will make the snapshots with KVM usable.

KVM volume snapshots worked well in 4.2.1 AFAIK and they still work
well in 4.3, but VM snapshots are still not supported and I don't think
they will be any time soon. We might get somewhere with it if we opt for
LVM thin storage and snapshots, that'd be cool.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
I agree with France, sounds like a more sensible idea and killing hosts left, right and centre with live vms. I now understand the reasons behind killing the troubled host server, however, this should be done without killing live vms with fully working volumes.

Regarding having nfs and ceph storage in different clusters - sounds like a good idea for majority of cases, however, my setup will not allow me to do that just yet. I am using ceph for my root and data volumes and NFS for backup volumes. I do currently need the backup volumes as snapshotting with KVM is somewhat broken / not fully working in 4.2.1. It has been improved from version 4.2.0 as it was completely broken. I am waiting for 4.3.0 where, hopefully, I would be able to keep snapshots on the primary storage (currently this feature is broken) which will make the snapshots with KVM usable.

Cheers for your help guys

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.
Hi Marcus and others.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.
Hi Marcus and others.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amin Samir <am...@hotmail.com>.
Hello,

This link addresses your issue.

Amin

Sent from my iPad

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
Pretty poor, I agree.

IMHO the ACS agent should not be allowed to reboot the host server. This is not the type of things you would like to automate as you will eventually end up with broken volumes and data loss.

And you are right of course, like what happened in my case. I currently have two vms which used that NFS server for volumes and the rest 50+ vms use ceph. As a result of the nfs server reboot all host servers have rebooted causing 50+ vms to reset without being properly shutdown.

I am using ACS 4.2.1 with KVM, so this issue seems to be present on KVM + XenServer.

Andrei
I believe this is a bug too, because VMs not running on the storage, get
destroyed too:

Issue has been around for a long time, like with all others I reported.
They do not get fixed:

We even lost assignee today.

Regards,
F.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.
I think this problem might only exist on KVM.
Can any1 with primary NFS test it on XenServer?

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
+1

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
I am on KVM.  thanks

> Can any1 from developers confirm this is expected behavior?

Yes, this still happens due to the kvmheartbeat.sh script which runs.

On some clusters I disabled this by simply overwriting that script with
a version where "reboot" is removed.

I have some ideas on how to fix this, but I don't have the time at the
moment.

Short version: The hosts shouldn't reboot themselves as long as they can
reach other nodes or it should at least be configurable.

The management server should also do further inspection during HA by
using a helper on the KVM Agent.

Wido

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.

Posted by France <ma...@isg.si>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 03.03.2014 12:37, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> Koushik, I understand that and I will put the storage into the
> maintenance mode next time. However, things happen and servers crash
> from time to time, which is not the reason to reboot all host servers,
> even those which do not have any running vms with volumes on the nfs
> storage. The bloody agent just rebooted every single host server
> regardless if they were running vms with volumes on the rebooted nfs
> server. 95% of my vms are running from ceph and those should have
> never been effected in the first place.

It sounds like ACS need to become more aware of multiple primary
storages..

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

>>> www.nux.ro

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

>>> www.nux.ro

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 03.03.2014 12:24, Andrei Mikhailovsky wrote:
> I am using HA for about 30% of the guest vms, but my testing showed
> that HA is not working reliably with KVM. It works pretty well if you
> initiate a vm shutdown inside a guest without using the ACS GUI.
> However, when the host goes down for whatever reason (power failure,
> init 6/0, network failure, etc.) the HA fails to kick in and restart
> the vms.

This shuld be submitted as a bug. Which version are you on?

> Regarding the nfs storage, I did not put the nfs server in the
> maintenance mode. Would this solve the problem with reboots? I will
> try it next time when I am doing maintenance on the nfs, but I do
> recall that i've previously restarted the nfs server in the past and
> I've not seen the hosts rebooting themselves. Is there a timeout which
> causes the hosts to reboot?

Not sure what the timeout is, I'd be interested in finding out as well.

To the best of my knowledge, when you put primary storage in m-mode ACS
will shut down the VMs on it.
Otherwise the shared storage is used by ACS to maintain HA (so your HA
is as good as your shared storage ...), if link to the shared storage is
down the host assumes something is wrong and shuts down (fences itself),
this is the correct and expected behaviour. Maybe your network has
segmented etc.

> In any case, I think it is not safe to do an automated host server
> reboot and if it was up to me I would disable this feature from the
> agent. IMHO this should be down to system administrator and acs agent
> should send an alert email if something goes wrong instead of
> rebooting the host servers.

Not sure what to tell you, HA is a sensitive and complex subject. For
now I'm ok with this behaviour and I see it implemented similarly in
Xenserver, too.

> I am using ceph for my primary storage for guest vms data and root
> disks. The NFS is used as a backup disk offering for the guest.
>

> Andrei

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: ALARM - ACS reboots host servers!!!