Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2008/01/15 17:27:01 UTC

hit counters for incubating web sites

Various posts in the past have expressed interest in collecting
statistics on usage, or downloads.  Previous replies have pointed out
that counting downloads is inaccurate, because Apache licensed
components can be redistributed by others, and the Apache mirroring
system means that most downloads occur from non-Apache machines.

We would like to get some statistical information about downloads, and
are thinking that counting clicks on the download button(s) would be a
good way (it would avoid the problem of missing mirroring).  Although
not perfect (it would miss repackaging/redistribution, and other sites
which link to a download page other than our own), we think it would be
somewhat useful, at least as a lower bound of interest.

Vadim Gritsenko has a stats site on people.a.o, looking at downloads by
extracting data from web server logs.  He has said, however, that he
won't track individual incubator projects, just TLP.  See
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html and
http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/faq.html .

Most of the hit counters out there seem to be snippets of html you add
to your web page, which go off to someone else's server, where the
counting happens.

Is there a service running on an apache server (e.g., people.a.o), which
we can use for hit-counting?  If so, can someone post the html needed to
use it?

-Marshall

Re: hit counters for incubating web sites

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I'm also very interested in this subject. Untill now I was parsing the
apache http logs for the download statistics information for Incubator
projects, but now that the distributions are starting to get mirrored,
I guess I'll need to find a new way.

Maybe Vadim Gritsenko would track incubator projects, now that they
are all working the same way as the TLP ? Or if the problem is free
cycles, I'm willing to give some help here to get things done for
Incubator projects as well.

On Jan 15, 2008 8:27 AM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> Various posts in the past have expressed interest in collecting
> statistics on usage, or downloads.  Previous replies have pointed out
> that counting downloads is inaccurate, because Apache licensed
> components can be redistributed by others, and the Apache mirroring
> system means that most downloads occur from non-Apache machines.
>
> We would like to get some statistical information about downloads, and
> are thinking that counting clicks on the download button(s) would be a
> good way (it would avoid the problem of missing mirroring).  Although
> not perfect (it would miss repackaging/redistribution, and other sites
> which link to a download page other than our own), we think it would be
> somewhat useful, at least as a lower bound of interest.
>
> Vadim Gritsenko has a stats site on people.a.o, looking at downloads by
> extracting data from web server logs.  He has said, however, that he
> won't track individual incubator projects, just TLP.  See
> http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html and
> http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/faq.html .
>
> Most of the hit counters out there seem to be snippets of html you add
> to your web page, which go off to someone else's server, where the
> counting happens.
>
> Is there a service running on an apache server (e.g., people.a.o), which
> we can use for hit-counting?  If so, can someone post the html needed to
> use it?
>
> -Marshall

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer