Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2009/08/19 16:18:18 UTC

[VFS] Minimum Java version

Currently the minimum Java version for VFS 2.0 is 1.4.  VFS 2.0 has
not been released and the developers are considering making the
minimum version JDK 5. We are interested in getting feedback from the
community however before this change is made.  So please respond with
your thoughts on this.

Ralph

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by michele bianchi <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 for java 5!

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 19, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> Currently the minimum Java version for VFS 2.0 is 1.4.  VFS 2.0 has
> not been released and the developers are considering making the
> minimum version JDK 5. We are interested in getting feedback from
> the community however before this change is made.  So please respond
> with your thoughts on this.
>
> Ralph

To answer my own question, Commons Configuration 1.7-SNAPSHOT is using
Commons VFS 2.0-SNAPSHOT as an optional dependency. Configuration has
a minimum JDK of 1.3. Although it is an optional runtime dependency,
some of the public classes are needed at compile time. This has not
been a problem so far and would be OK provided this continued to work
after the change. I don't believe it would be a problem to add the
requirement for JDK 5 to the use of this feature in Commons
Configuration.

Ralph

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
+1 for java 5!

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Gary
Gregory<GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]

I don't really get why you say it complicates matters as being
backwards compatible means that you don't need v1 & v2 to co-exist.

Niall

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Sure, I am just thinking that when I have worked on projects that have opened the door to Java 5/6, it's opened the floodgates to using new APIs, Generics, etc. Compatibility for existing v1.0 call sites should still be a goal of course.

Gary

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
I wonder if the BSD-licensed Retroweaver (http://retroweaver.sf.net) could
be used to provide 1.4 binary compatibility for those who need it?

Regards,

Mark Fortner

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Yeah, we probably need to change the package name to o.a.c.vfs2 and
the artifactId to commons-vfs2.  Or, go back the other way, as you
suggest (provided it's backward compatible).

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Ralph,

+1 on Java 5.

Ralph Goers wrote at Mittwoch, 19. August 2009 16:34:

> The packages haven't been changed so far. But this would definitely
> have to be considered whether we would want to take on the package
> renaming right now.
>
> The minimum JDK for 1.0 was 1.3, although it isn't clear that that was
> correct. The minimum JDK for 2.0 has already been changed to 1.4 since
> some of the code actually required that version to run.

as Niall already pointed out, it depends whether 2.0 is binary compatible or
not. Generics do not necessarily break compatibility.

- Jörg

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

+1 on Java 5.

> Are they going to change the package name?
Let's discuss this once we cross this bridge.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

+1 on Java 5.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
+1 for Java 5.

Gary

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
+1 for Java 5.

Gary

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:12 AM, sebb wrote:

> 1.5 offers a lot of enhancements over 1.4.
>
> Does 1.6 offer anything essential to VFS at run-time?
> If not, then stick with 1.5 to avoid unnecessarily excluding users.

I agree with that.

Ralph

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1.6

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM, rzo <rz...@gmx.de> wrote:

> +1 for 1.5
>
> - Ron
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/yajsw/
>
> david@davidkarlsen.com wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>>  Currently the minimum Java version for VFS 2.0 is 1.4.  VFS 2.0 has not
>>> been released and the developers are considering making the minimum version
>>> JDK 5. We are interested in getting feedback from the community however
>>> before this change is made.  So please respond with your thoughts on this.
>>>

>> In favour of 1.5 as minimum.
>> Older JDKs are EOL - and java5 came with a lot of enhancements.
>>
>> --
>> David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
>> http://www.davidkarlsen.com
>> http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by rzo <rz...@gmx.de>.
+1 for 1.5

AW: [VFS] Minimum Java version

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
> Well, if you're going to make a jump, why go to something that's EOSL very soon?

For me, JDK 1.6 would be fine too.
But, I'd say this is just a minor issue as the main things one will notice (generics, enhanced for syntax) are there with JDK 1.5.
Are there any API changes critical for VFS to use? I don't think so.

The next big jump VFS might see will be JDK 1.7 as then they come with a pluggable file provider [1] thingy too. We will see, how VFS fits there.
In fact, I think VFS3 will provide just filesystem providers for JDK 1.7 - don't know if they can deal with layered filesystems though.

Ciao,
Mario

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/nio/javadoc/java/nio/file/FileSystem.html