Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Sivapatham, Hari" <HS...@empirix.com> on 2007/06/18 16:31:13 UTC

Struts1 and 2

Hello,
Even though struts1 versus struts2 has been described in detail, I am
really looking for something qualitative that only struts users could
shed some light on. We are looking to choose a web framework for our
project and I suggested going with Struts2. However, since other product
teams in our company use struts1, there is some pressure to consider
struts1 as well. So, the question is, how much of the knowledge gained
from struts1 directly applicable to struts2?

Thanks
Priya

RE: Struts1 and 2

Posted by Jason Wyatt <jw...@itree.com.au>.
The j4 jars worked, but we hit a slowness problem. I backported about a
dozen jars to 1.4 to get our app working on Oracle AS 10.1.2 with JDK 1.4.

Our app ran very responsively on my PC (3GHz dual core pentium with XP) with
Tomcat 5.5 & JDK 5, but ran like a wet weekend on our development Solaris
server (2 x 1200MHz CPUs and plenty of RAM) with oracle AS 10.1.2, JDK
1.4.2_11 and the backported jars.

Normally the development server with OAS 10.1.2 is pretty responsive for
struts 1 web apps, so it was quite a surprise. The two apps were hitting the
same database, and the speed decrease seemed to be in the order of 3-6 times
slower.

My first assumption was it was due to the backported jars & translation... I
assumed there might be some wrapper code that runs on the fly in the
backported jars to handle the JDK1.5 -> 1.4 conversion, thuse slows the
calls down. Any idea if thats possibly the cause?

I haven't actually shown the slowness problem is due to the backported jars
yet... Need some more time to isolate the problem. I might test the
backported version again, compared to our workaround JDK1.6 version running
on the same OAS 10.1.2 on the same Solaris server.

Regards
Jason

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Jason Wyatt <jw...@itree.com.au> wrote:
> - we got bitten by the dependency on JDK 1.5. Our S2
> web app worked fine on Tomcat 5.5, but our client's
> production application server (Oracle AS 10.1.2)
> didn't support JDK 1.5 by default, and I've spent
the
> last 2 weeks coming up with a satisfactory
> workaround.

The J4 jars didn't work?

d.

RE: Struts1 and 2

Posted by "Sivapatham, Hari" <HS...@empirix.com>.
Thanks a lot for the information Jason. The pros and cons list will be
very helpful. Jeff's and your response backup my suggestion of going
with struts2 instead of struts1. Thanks again!
Priya

RE: Struts1 and 2

Re: Struts1 and 2

Posted by Jeff Amiel <je...@gmail.com>.