Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/05 20:57:35 UTC

Should we stop shipping APR with 1.4.0-rcNEXT?

> We can't ship an APR 1.x release because it's not binary
> compatible with the previous releases, so we're stuck wiht 0.9.x for
> the foreseeable future.

I disagree. We're not forced to ship anything. And while we're at the
subject, I get more and more APR 0.9.x vs Apache 2.2 (ie APR 1.x)
compile problems on #svn. So, I'm in favor of not shipping anything
and make people look at their systems to find the right APR to link
against instead of using a default which gets us into trouble more and
more often.

BTW: Binary compat only counts on systems which already *have* APR and
- presumably - we're not including APR for those systems!

bye,

Erik.

Re: Should we stop shipping APR with 1.4.0-rcNEXT?

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2006-07-05 22:57:35 +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> >We can't ship an APR 1.x release because it's not binary
> >compatible with the previous releases, so we're stuck wiht 0.9.x for
> >the foreseeable future.
>
> I disagree. We're not forced to ship anything. And while we're at the
> subject, I get more and more APR 0.9.x vs Apache 2.2 (ie APR 1.x)
> compile problems on #svn. So, I'm in favor of not shipping anything
> and make people look at their systems to find the right APR to link
> against instead of using a default which gets us into trouble more and
> more often.

+1

at least having both tarballs around.

darix

--
           openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux
               openSUSE is good for you

Re: Should we stop shipping APR with 1.4.0-rcNEXT?

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2006-07-06 09:46:24 -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>
> >+1 to not shipping a with-deps tarball.
> >

> I'm +1 on this as well, so long as we actually take the time to do a
> good job documenting and publicizing this decision.  This means
> careful clarification of our INSTALL document, as well as announcing
> this change to package maintainers.

package maintainers will be the last folks crying about that. they
usually hate intree copies. we should be more worried about new svn
users, who wanna build from source.

darix

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[Ben Collins-Sussman]
> I'm +1 on this as well, so long as we actually take the time to do a
> good job documenting and publicizing this decision.  This means
> careful clarification of our INSTALL document, as well as announcing
> this change to package maintainers.

Speaking as a package maintainer [debian], please feel free to remove
apr, apr-util and neon at your earliest convenience.  (:

Re: Should we stop shipping APR with 1.4.0-rcNEXT?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/6/06, Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> wrote:

> +1 to no longer shipping our dependencies in our tarball, but I'd note
> that we've discussed doing this for several releases now, and for whatever
> reason haven't managed it yet.
>
> I think one of the sticking points was the wish to continue shipping
> a with-deps version of the tarball.  I don't think we should be doing
> that, personally - it adds extra complexity to the release process, and
> it's just odd anyway (we ship APR and Neon, but not zlib, BDB, or Serf).

+1 to not shipping a with-deps tarball.

-garrett

Re: Should we stop shipping APR with 1.4.0-rcNEXT?

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 10:57:35PM +0200, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> >We can't ship an APR 1.x release because it's not binary
> >compatible with the previous releases, so we're stuck wiht 0.9.x for
> >the foreseeable future.
>
> I disagree. We're not forced to ship anything. And while we're at the
> subject, I get more and more APR 0.9.x vs Apache 2.2 (ie APR 1.x)
> compile problems on #svn. So, I'm in favor of not shipping anything
> and make people look at their systems to find the right APR to link
> against instead of using a default which gets us into trouble more and
> more often.

+1 to no longer shipping our dependencies in our tarball, but I'd note
that we've discussed doing this for several releases now, and for whatever
reason haven't managed it yet.

I think one of the sticking points was the wish to continue shipping
a with-deps version of the tarball.  I don't think we should be doing
that, personally - it adds extra complexity to the release process, and
it's just odd anyway (we ship APR and Neon, but not zlib, BDB, or Serf).

Regards,
Malcolm