Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/07/20 22:29:23 UTC

[PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Apologies to those who have received multiple copies of this message.
I've cc'ed members of the Apache POI project, the Apache OpenOffice
podling and the ODF Toolkit Union, due to the prior interest they've
expressed in this.  I invite them to join the discussion on
general@incubator.apache.org.  If they want to subscribe to this list
they can do so by sending an email to
general-subscribe@incubator.apache.org.

= The ODF Toolkit =

== Abstract ==

The ODF Toolkit is a set of Java modules that allow programmatic
creation, scanning and manipulation of OpenDocument Format (ISO/IEC
26300 == ODF) documents. Unlike other approaches which rely on runtime
manipulation of heavy-weight editors via an automation interface, the
ODF Toolkit is lightweight and ideal for server use.

The ODF Toolkit is currently hosted by the ODF Toolkit Union and is
licensed under the Apache 2.0 license.

== Proposal ==

To move the following components from the ODF Toolkit Union to a
single "ODF Toolkit" project at Apache:

Simple Java API for ODF: http://simple.odftoolkit.org/

ODFDOM: http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odfdom/pages/Home

ODF Conformance Tools:
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/conformancetools/pages/Home

(We'd be open as well to a catchier name.  We've been calling it "The
ODF Toolkit", prefaced always with "The".  Or individually by
component name.  But "The Apache ODF Toolkit" or "Apache ODF Toolkit"
are ponderous.)

In addition to migrating the code, we would migrate the website,
tutorials, samples, Bugzilla data, and (if feasible) the mailing list
archives.  We would also seek to transfer the odftoolkit.org domain
name to Apache.

While under incubation we will merge these projects into a single SDK
with three layers:

# Package layer, representing the ZIP + Manifest container file of an
ODF document.  This structure is shared by other document formats,
such as EPUB
# DOM Layer, a schema-generated layer that maps 1:1 with the ODF
schema.  This uses Apache Velocity as the templating engine.
# Convenience layer: an intuitive, high level API for use by app
developers who are not familiar with ODF XML, but who have basic
knowledge at the level of a word processor user.

== Background ==
The ODF Toolkit Union was jointly announced by Sun and IBM at the
OpenOffice.org Conference in Beijing, November 2008. The idea was to
create a portfolio of tools aimed at accelerating the growth of
document-centric solutions. The Open Document Format specification is
large and complex. Most developers simply do not have the time and
energy to master the 1,000-page specification  By providing
programming libraries, with high level APIs, the ODF Toolkit offers an
means to reduce the difficulty level, and encourage development of
innovative document solutions.

== Rationale ==

During the recent OpenOffice incubation proposal discussions, the
mention of possible moving the ODF Toolkit to Apache was met with
enthusiasm.

Apache is emerging as the leading open source community for document
related projects.  The ODF Toolkit would have a good deal of synergy
with other Apache projects, including the ODF Toolkit's dependency on
Apache XML tools like Xerces, to possible multi-format applications
with POI libraries to pipelining ODF with SVG and PDF rendering with
Batik, FOP or  PDFBox.  Getting these various document processing
libraries in one place, under a compatible permissive license would be
of great value and service to users-developers interested in combining
these tools for their specific project requirements.

Last, but not least,  there is obvious synergy with Apache OpenOffice,
as a prominent office suite supporting the ODF format.

The ODF Toolkit is already licensed under Apache License, Version 2.0,
enabling a smooth transition.

= Current Status =
== Meritocracy ==
We understand the intention and value of meritocracy at Apache.  The
initial committers are familiar with open source development.  A
diverse developer community is regarded as necessary for a healthy,
stable, long term ODF Toolkit project.

== Community ==

The ODF Toolkit is developed by a small set of core developers, though
the community extends to include a broad set of application developers
who use the code and contribute bug reports, patches and feature
requests.

Although there are some open source projects that use these components
directly, such Apache Directory Studio and GNU Octave,  to support ODF
import/export, it is more typical for these kinds of libraries to be
used by application developers in small, ad-hoc document automation
and data wrangling applications.

== Core Developers ==
The coders on the existing ODF Toolkit will comprise the initial
committers on the Apache project.  These committers have varying
degrees of experience with Apache-style open source development,
ranging from none to being committers on other Apache projects..

== Alignment ==
Along with the technical synergies described earlier, Apache aligns
well due to its license and emphasis on meritocracy.

= Known Risks =
== Orphaned products ==

The risk, as in most projects, is to grow the project and maintain
diversity.  This is a priority that is keenly desired by the
community.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==
The initial developers include experienced open source developers,
including committers from other Apache projects. Although the majority
of proposed committers do not have Apache experience, they do have
open source experience.

== Homogeneous Developers ==
The ODF Toolkit Union was created by IBM and Sun (later Oracle) who
provided the majority of its engineering resources as well as its
direction. Moving this project to Apache enables a new start.  We
intend to engage in strong recruitment efforts in order to further
strengthen and diversify the community.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
When we look at sponsored developers, with the ability to work on this
project full time, IBM currently has more committers.  We believe that
this situation will change, as the project grows in incubation.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
Several potential areas for collaboration with other Apache projects
have been suggested, including:

[[http://poi.apache.org|Apache POI]] which is similar library, focused
on Microsoft Office format documents

[[http://tika.apache.org/|Apache Tika]] is a generic toolkit for
extracting text and metadata from various file formats.

[[http://pdfbox.apache.org/|Apache PDFBox]] is a Java library for
working with PDF documents. If not direct code sharing over the Java /
C++ divide, then at least sharing of PDF know-how and perhaps things
like test cases between these projects would be great.

We are interested in further exploring these options.

==A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand==

Our primary interest is in the processes, systems, and framework
Apache has put in place around open source software development more
than any fascination with the brand.

==Documentation==

There is documentation for the Simple Java API for ODF project,
including a Cookbook, and JavaDoc:

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/cookbook/

http://simple.odftoolkit.org/javadoc/index.html

For the ODFDOM, there is a good overview documenting the project here:
http://odftoolkit.org/projects/odfdom/pages/ProjectOverview

A 3rd party introductory tutorial here:
http://www.langintro.com/odfdom_tutorials/

==Initial Source==

Will come from the ODF Toolkit Union, the latest stable source, plus
any work in-progress

==External Dependencies==

We do not believe that we have any external dependencies other than
Apache Xerces, Xalan, Velocity (a build-time dependency), Java 6 and
the ODF schemas (also a build-time dependency)

==Cryptography==

We are currently working on adding support for digital signatures and
encryption of documents. The project will complete any needed export
control paperwork related to these features.

==Required Resources==

The following mailing lists:

 * `odf-dev@incubator.apache.org` - for developer discussions

 * `odf-user@incubator.apache.org` - for user discussions

 * `odf-commits@incubator.apache.org` - for Subversion commit messages

 * `odf-issues@incubator.apache.org` - for JIRA change notifications

 * `odf-notifications@incubator.apache.org` - for continuous
build/test notifications

===Other resources===

A source code repository, preferable git

An issue tracker

A wiki

A website

==Initial Committers==

 Rob Weir
 Biao Han
 Svante Schubert
 Ying Chun Guo

==Sponsors==

===Champion===
Sam Ruby

===Nominated Mentors===
Nick Burch
Yegor Kozlov

===Sponsoring Entity===

The Apache Incubator

[PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@apache.org>.
I'm cc'ing the Tika and PDFBox projects, to make members aware of this proposal.

If you have comments, please follow up to general@incubator.apache.org.

Regards,
Yegor

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Malte Timmermann <ma...@gmx.com>.
+1 :)

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal

This proposal was sent to the Apache Incubator list a week ago.  It
was suggested that the PDFBox and Tiki projects should be contacted as
well, to make members aware of this proposal.

If you have comments, please follow up to general@incubator.apache.org.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
>> == Background ==
>> The ODF Toolkit Union was jointly announced by Sun and IBM at the
>> OpenOffice.org Conference in Beijing, November 2008.
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jhpOvocJCrShDVkE8lObEQ?feat=directlink
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/WkrnKIHG-ecC7llqFXc63w?feat=directlink
> It was an exciting announcement!
> :)

Yes, that was a very nice conference.

> This proposal is similar to
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal
> but it doesn't have the following phrase.
> "In order to help encourage the creation of a broad and diverse
> project built upon merit, as required of an Apache project, we have
> not loaded the initial committer list with contributors from a single
> company. Our intention is for the initial committer list to be
> representative of the various users of ... It is perfectly all right
> to have your name on this list if you contribute in another way than
> to commit program code."
>
> Does this phrase also apply to
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal
> ?

OpenOffice is an end-user product.  So in addition to coding, the
project needs other skills like user interface design, translation,
application help, marketing, etc.   The ODF Toolkit is a developer
SDK, for Java programmers.  So end users will not use the deliverables
of this project directly.  They would only use it, indirectly, when it
is used by another end-user facing application.  So there is no UI, no
translations, etc.  There will be documentation, but it will be
developer-oriented documentation, mainly in the form of JavaDoc and
tutorials.

So I do welcome additional contributors.  But I want to be clear that
the ODF Toolkit project has a different audience than OpenOffice, and
the project will benefit from a different mix of skills.

-Rob

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Good question.  Once the project is set up, there will be many areas
>>> where we would benefit from contributions.  Naturally, this includes
>>> Java programmers, but also QA, documentation, and of course, users.
>>
>> I was referring to get it approved as an incubator project.  I see no
>> where to sign up as a committer as we had with OOo.
>>

> Hi Andy,
>
> I'd like to invite you to sign up as an initial committer on the wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Done.  Thanks.

Andy

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<de...@acm.org> wrote:
>  1. In the proposal,
>
> "The coders on the existing ODF Toolkit will comprise the initial committers on the Apache project. These committers have varying degrees of experience with Apache-style open source development, ranging from none to being committers on other Apache projects."
>
> That strikes me as inadequately expansive/inclusive.  It makes me wonder, why doesn't the project simply stay where it is?  You appear to have a definite roadmap for how you want to see this project proceed.

That text is in response to the "core developers" section of the
proposal. If you look at the Apache Incubation Proposal Guide [1], you
will see that our response is in line with the examples given.

You probably want to review the "rationale" section for the "why" question.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-core-developers

>  2. Also, the current code carries template Apache ALv2 notices with copyright statements such as
>
>    /************************************************************************
>    *
>    * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS FILE HEADER
>    *
>    * Copyright 2008, 2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
>    * Copyright 2009, 2010 IBM. All rights reserved.
>    * [... usual ALv2 template text ...]
>    */
>
> Is it intended that there be an SGA or will this code simply be adapted as licensed?  [I am curious because I have been restructuring some projects of mine along these lines and I'd like to see how that works.]

SGA's are for donations of code or documentation.  No one is donating
anything here.  Apache does not typically aggregate copyright and the
code is already under an Apache 2.0 license.  So the copyright
statements in the code are factual, but irrelevant from Apache's
perspective, to the extent that all the code is also properly under
the Apache 2.0 license.

>  3. In the code base, there appear to be other committers (e.g., Devin and Michel).  Is there some reason they are not among the initial committers?  Are the listed Initial Committers the only current committers on the ODF Toolkit projects?

All existing committers to the ODF Toolkit were contacted and asked
whether they wanted their names added to the proposal.  The ones who
took us up on the offer are listed.  Also, note that some of the
Chinese project members use Western nicknames (like 'Devin'), so
correlating the legal iCLA names to their ID's will require some care.

>  4. Can we know the contact e-mail and current iCLA status of the initial committers?

Yes, we can work on that.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
2011/7/22 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:

>> > I would like to help as well. Are people allowed to add their names to
>> the proposal?
>> >

>> I've been told that the way we opened things up for initial committers
>> on the OpenOffice proposal was not the norm.  I was pointed to this
>> post that explained the danger of extreme approaches in either
>> direction, "piling on" versus not letting anyone new in:
>>

>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200607.mbox/%3C5353A3C4-4CCC-4673-A00F-B9CE3193C08D@gbiv.com%3E
>>
>> So it appears that the decision on initial committers rests with the
>> proposers, which I count as myself and the other names listed
>> initially.  Personally, I would welcome anyone who is committed to the
>> success of the project and is able to contribute in one way or
>> another.  But I'd like to see what my co-proposers think on this as
>> well.
>>
>> Can we do this for now?  If anyone is committed to the project and
>> able to contribute, please respond to this note with some indication
>> of your interest.  The proposers can then review this information and
>> add names to the wiki accordingly.  There is a  "checks and balances"
>> aspect to this as well.  If the proposers are seen as rejecting
>> earnest offers of help from the community, then that could clearly be
>> a factor in how the proposal is voted on.
>>

> i would be interested in this project in the same way as i was as a project
> member of the existing project. Well i was not really active in the past as
> a developer because of some other internal to-dos but this can be changed.

Hello Jürgen ,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by do...@us.ibm.com.
Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote on 07/21/2011 02:02:55 PM:

> From: Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org,
> Date: 07/22/2011 04:20 AM
> Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> >> I was referring to get it approved as an incubator project.  I see no
> >> where to sign up as a committer as we had with OOo.
> >
> > I would like to help as well. Are people allowed to add their
> names to the proposal?
> >

> I've been told that the way we opened things up for initial committers
> on the OpenOffice proposal was not the norm.  I was pointed to this
> post that explained the danger of extreme approaches in either
> direction, "piling on" versus not letting anyone new in:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200607.mbox/%3C5353A3C4-4CCC-4673-A00F-B9CE3193C08D@gbiv.com%3E
>
> So it appears that the decision on initial committers rests with the
> proposers, which I count as myself and the other names listed
> initially.  Personally, I would welcome anyone who is committed to the
> success of the project and is able to contribute in one way or
> another.  But I'd like to see what my co-proposers think on this as
> well.

As a co-proposer, I also welcome anyone who is committed to the success of
this project. There are many exciting areas to improve. We will need to
develop a good community to support this project beyond the core
developers. So if you have a keen interest in the 'document-space', please

do not hesitate to join.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
> <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 on the proposal
>>
>> But comment though on the mailing lists you asked for, I updated them,
>> so would you please take a look. In brief the changes are:
>>
>> 1- You missed adding odf-private@ which is for Podling Project
>> Management Committee specific discussion which MUST be private.
>> 2- For issues and CI notifications we use the dev@ for that purpose no
>> need to have their own mailing lists.
>>

> Thanks.
>
>> One last note, I believe you need to rename your mailing lists to be
>> deft-*. I could have done that but wanted to notify you first :).
>>

> For this proposal, "odf" is correct.  But I am open to other names for
> the project, since "The Apache ODF Toolkit" is rather long.  If we
> want Dutch towns, maybe "Apache Gouda"?  That would result in a logo
> that even I, with my limited graphics skill, could design ;-)

:), no problem, it was only a comment.

>>> Shall we cc the proposal to the Tika and PDFBox dev lists? These
>>> projects are listed in the "Relationships" section and there may be
>>> interest on their side too.
>>>
>>> Yegor

>> --
>> Thanks
>> - Mohammad Nour
>>   Author of (WebSphere Application Server Community Edition 2.0 User Guide)
>>   http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247585.html
>> - LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mnour
>> - Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
>> ----
>> - Albert Einstein
>>
>> "Writing clean code is what you must do in order to call yourself a
>> professional. There is no reasonable excuse for doing anything less
>> than your best."
>> - Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
>>
>> "Stay hungry, stay foolish."
>> - Steve Jobs

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal

But comment though on the mailing lists you asked for, I updated them,
so would you please take a look. In brief the changes are:

1- You missed adding odf-private@ which is for Podling Project
Management Committee specific discussion which MUST be private.
2- For issues and CI notifications we use the dev@ for that purpose no
need to have their own mailing lists.

One last note, I believe you need to rename your mailing lists to be
deft-*. I could have done that but wanted to notify you first :).

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> wrote:

>> Can we do this for now?  If anyone is committed to the project and
>> able to contribute, please respond to this note with some indication
>> of your interest.  The proposers can then review this information and
>> add names to the wiki accordingly.  There is a  "checks and balances"
>> aspect to this as well.  If the proposers are seen as rejecting
>> earnest offers of help from the community, then that could clearly be
>> a factor in how the proposal is voted on.
>>

> Shall we cc the proposal to the Tika and PDFBox dev lists? These
> projects are listed in the "Relationships" section and there may be
> interest on their side too.
>
> Yegor

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1, please CC to Tika and PDFBox lists -- there will likely be interest...

Cheers,
Chris

On Jul 25, 2011, at 12:27 AM, Yegor Kozlov wrote:

>> Can we do this for now?  If anyone is committed to the project and
>> able to contribute, please respond to this note with some indication
>> of your interest.  The proposers can then review this information and
>> add names to the wiki accordingly.  There is a  "checks and balances"
>> aspect to this as well.  If the proposers are seen as rejecting
>> earnest offers of help from the community, then that could clearly be
>> a factor in how the proposal is voted on.
>>

> Shall we cc the proposal to the Tika and PDFBox dev lists? These
> projects are listed in the "Relationships" section and there may be
> interest on their side too.
>
> Yegor

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Shall we cc the proposal to the Tika and PDFBox dev lists? These
>>> projects are listed in the "Relationships" section and there may be
>>> interest on their side too.
>>
>> Please forward the proposal as you see fit.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'm only seeing positive responses.  If we call for a vote
>> in 72 hours (late morning EDT on Thusrday) is that enough time for
>> discussion?
>>

> Sam, I think we're ready for the vote now.

+1

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 2011, at 7:10 AM, Andy Brown wrote:
>
>> Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Good question.  Once the project is set up, there will be many areas
>>> where we would benefit from contributions.  Naturally, this includes
>>> Java programmers, but also QA, documentation, and of course, users.
>>
>> I was referring to get it approved as an incubator project.  I see no
>> where to sign up as a committer as we had with OOo.
>
> I would like to help as well. Are people allowed to add their names to the proposal?

Hi Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.

Posted by Daniel Latrémolière <da...@gmail.com>.
Le 21/07/2011 14:28, Rob Weir a écrit :
> So, there is no shortage of areas were we could use help.  And there
> are probably even more ways of improving/extending this code than I
> have even thought of.

> [ODF Toolkit Proposal] Unlike other approaches which rely on runtime
> manipulation of heavy-weight editors via an automation interface, the
> ODF Toolkit is lightweight and ideal for server use.

As a worker in document generation, I had never used ODF Toolkit in
server generation because I prefer, for low memory-use, a stream API
(ZIPOutputStream and streaming of each XML inside) to a model API.

I recognize, that I had not studied precisely code of ODF Tookit and I
don't knew it was schema-generated Java source code. Given that, I would
suggest another idea: adding a stream (StAX-like) API, helping when
outputting ODF documents without using too much memory (another target
for Java code generation from schema).

Daniel Latrémolière.

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> And I've added it to the wiki:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal
>>
>> -Rob
>
> What can I do to help?

Good question.  Once the project is set up, there will be many areas
where we would benefit from contributions.  Naturally, this includes
Java programmers, but also QA, documentation, and of course, users.

Some specific things that I think would be interesting, if we had more
contributors:

- Work on improving the JavaDoc.  What we have now is thin and would
benefit from editing by someone with English fluency.

- Quantify our unit test test-coverage and write additional targeted
unit tests so that we achieve 100% coverage

- A module that takes an ODF document as input and generates code,
expressed in the ODF Toolkit, that would when executed created the
original ODF document.  It sound weird, but think about it.  This
would allow someone to jump-start a program that produced customized
versions of that document.

- Implement OpenFormula, the spreadsheet formula language of ODF 1.2

- We occasionally get a report of concurrency bugs. These, as you may
know, are notoriously hard to debug and fix.  Is there something we
can be doing to shake out these errors earlier, during test?  What is
the state of the art here in static and dynamic analysis?

- We have a "cookbook" [1] of sample snippets of code that illustrate
common problem/solution pairs, like how to copy a slide from another
presentation deck.  This cookbook is very useful and popular.  But
there is much room for expansion.

- Performance -- profiling and tuning is needed.

- A more radical way to achieve greater performance would be to have a
streaming-mode API that does not require building a DOM at all.  This
would be limited in what you can do with it -- especially limited to
what can be done within a single pass over the document -- but could
be highly optimized.  For example, suppose you just want to extract
the author's name and creation date from a large number of documents.
This requires only that you scan through the meta.xml in the ODF ZIP
file.  Building a DOM would be highly wasteful.  But if you had a
SAX-like set of listener interfaces and realized that only a
MetadataListener was registered, then you could optimize the
processing of the document.

[1] http://simple.odftoolkit.org/cookbook/index.html

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Rob Weir wrote:
> And I've added it to the wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODFToolkitProposal
>
> -Rob

What can I do to help?

Andy

Re: [PROPOSAL] ODF Toolkit for Incubation

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
And I've added it to the wiki:

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
+1