Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2011/03/11 23:02:40 UTC

removing comments from documentation in confluence

Do we remove comments from confluence if/when we make changes that
address the comments?

So, I just made a quick change to address comments here -

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/hidden

Should I remove the comments since they are no longer relevant? Or, do
we leave them there for posterity?

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: removing comments from documentation in confluence

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
I agree, those comments cause confusion when users read a already
updated article. Removing the comment and adding a reference to the
commenter / initial comment seems to be a good way to go.

- Rene

On 12.03.11 00:28, Dave Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> wrote:
>> Do we remove comments from confluence if/when we make changes that
>> address the comments?
>>
>> So, I just made a quick change to address comments here -
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/hidden
>>
>> Should I remove the comments since they are no longer relevant? Or, do
>> we leave them there for posterity?
>
> I've brought this up in the past--I'm actually opposed to leaving them
> there because I think they create clutter that detracts from a smooth
> documentation experience--nobody knows if they have to pay attention
> to the comment or not until they read the followup.
>
> If we keep any record of it at all I'd do what you did and create a
> JIRA, refer to the commenter if it seems reasonable to, and remove the
> comment.
>
> Just my $0.02--I'd just like to keep the online doc experience as
> clean as possible, but I acknowledge the need to thank the folks that
> comment in some way, because they're helping in a meaningful way.
>
> Dave

René Gielen
IT-Neering.net
Saarstrasse 100, 52062 Aachen, Germany
Tel: +49-(0)241-4010770
Fax: +49-(0)241-4010771
Cel: +49-(0)163-2844164
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: removing comments from documentation in confluence

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.